Funciton Generator

Hi all, I have just joined this groups. Warm wishes to all.

I need to know how to use a HP Agilent 332501A 80Mhz function generator to generate a single pulse of 3.3V with duration of 3 m sec.

I have tried using the options of pulse in the front panel. But im expected to set the frequency also. I cannot set the frequency as i need only one single pulse and cannot acess my off time of the pulse.

Please help me out in this.

Regards, Dharan

Reply to
Dharan

A function generator by definition outputs a continuing output, not a single pulse.

You'll need something else.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

--
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/ICM7555-ICM7556.pdf
Reply to

ok do u mean i have to go for a monoshot muiltivibrator??

Reply to
Dharan

I'm not familiar with this model, but many function generators have various triggering and gating options. You may need to experiment a bit, but I suspect you can do what you want with some other source to provide a trigger and gate. Of course, then you get into the issue of how *that* source will provide the needed pulse(s). But the trigger/gate source just needs to make a pulse that is a bit longer than the target pulse, and shorter than the pulse rep cycle time.

My Daqarta signal generator (free) will easily produce pulses with

3 msec duration if you have a sound card that samples at 48000 Hz (almost all cards, these days)... 3 msec is exactly 144 samples at that rate. You can set the repetition rate very long (over 24 hours) or use some trickery to make a single pulse. (See "Long Duration Events and Sound Exposures" in the Applications section of the Help, either in the program or on the Website version.)

One problem with sound card outputs is that they are AC coupled, so you may or may not be happy with the pulse shape. You can clean it up by running it through a gate. Use clamp diodes to prevent negative (or too-positive) waveform portions from harming the gate.

The Daqarta signal generator is free. The only thing you will lose after the trial period expires is the ability to monitor input lines. All the waveform and spectral analysis options will continue to work on generated signals and file data. Since you only need a signal generator here, you are good to go. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta