Electroplating material ?

Can anyone please answer this, and/or point me to a website that gives some details ?

What is that yellowish finishing that is usually given to a steel-based chassis for electronic products ? I assume that it is electroplated on for rust protection and solderability. Specifically, what is the plating material ? Tin ?

Reply to
pawihte

Zinc. The colour is a passivation finish. In olden days it was Cadmium. You won't get that now. Plenty of old drawings called up 'Cad & Pass'.

These days I use 'Zinc & clear'. Or actually more likely I use Zintec (tm) electro-galavanised material.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Perhaps zinc chromate:

John Popelish

chromate:

Thanks, everyone. Now I have some basis do some research on the net.

Reply to
pawihte

It might be cadmium, but I don't really know for sure. I would suggest not welding it nor eating off it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

when I was working at a truck parts factory they called it gold passivation, dunno if adjective or noun.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

An adjective, probably. Zinc chromate has that color, and costs a lot less than gold. About the only place you'd find metallic gold in a truck is as plating on electrical contacts in embedded computers.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

As in these "Goldscrews"

It's chromate passivated, improves the corrosion resistance and looks nice. But no Au involved.

Reply to
cpemma