effect of laminated plates on electro maget

hello,

I have two electro magnets with different thickness of laminated plates, They are of different size but both gives relatively the same Telsa output between 5v and 20v. Will I still get the same strength (tesla) if I use 100v or 200v supply? ( i do not have access to that amount of dc voltage) will the eddy effect be too strong and give different output..

thanks ken

Reply to
lerameur

The laminations have no beneficial effect on the field strength you get with DC. They are strictly intended to reduce the circulating (eddy) currents when the coil is excited by AC voltage. The field strength should be roughly proportional to the voltage applied, but the heat production goes up roughly in proportion to the square of applied voltage. Are you talking about exciting these electromagnets with AC or DC?

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

Hi John, I will be using DC voltage, but I will redesign my coil.

Reply to
lerameur