Electro-luminiscent display wanted

Hello,

can anyone recommend manufacturer or supplier of electro - luminiscent displays ?

Display should be yellow color, or if possible orange and dot-matrix type would be perfect.

Can someone answer me where to find such display ?

I apologize if I am too picky, but blue displays just do not meet the aesthetical needs of the project.

thanks,

Tomislav

Reply to
Tomislav

Tomislav wrote in news:epraur$n1u$ snipped-for-privacy@sunce.iskon.hr:

That reminds me of a question I asked a few months back. I still want an answer if I can find one, and it might be your answer too. LED backlighting, but in the low profile panels that are usually only acheivable with EL backlights.

My need is for a green/yellow LED backlight in a 240x64 graphic panel. It has to fit in a very tight space designed for the EL type.

Powertip is one maker of supplies, but I don't think they make one as I want it, but they might have what you need.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Meant maker or supplier of display panels. Also try Optrex, and Microtip.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Don't listen to all those LCD backlight guys :))

For EL displays you can use Planar. They make really nice, tough (as in industrial tough :) monochrome and "color" EL displays. Monochromes are nice yellow, probably exactly what you're looking for.

But beware, they are quite expensive...

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

The 'blue' is actually quite wide spectrum unlike leds.

I've seen it happily filtered to orange ( on one of my products in fact ). I'm sure you could use a yellow filter too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Where are you. That may be a factor.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I see what you mean. I just visited website and it looks quite powerful and professional. Thanks for the advice, if I ( hopefully :) ) find something in my price range those displays would be the best solution - maybe even too good for project I am planing. ;)

Thanks,

Tomislav

Reply to
Tomislav

Filtering is nice idea, if some standard blue display from audio component or VCR can be filtered to orange or yellow that would be very good solution. I think that Panasonic uses yellow displays on their VCR's but I failed to find one that is broken because they are just made too good. ;)

Thanks for the idea.

Tomislav

Reply to
Tomislav

I'm

Just try it. I can assure you it works. We used the same display on 2 products. One was filtered orange, the other had a blue filter which made it 'ultra-blue'.

You're welcome.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Lostgallifreyan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns98CA5CD2B1A2zoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130... | Meant maker or supplier of display panels. | Also try Optrex, and Microtip.

Why don't use an EL?

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in news:45ccd330$1$18847$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool4.arcor-online.net:

Didn't like the colour. :) (Was a pasty wan sort of washy blue thing). Or the relatively short life. A synthesizer is often on for very long periods, and the EL is almost always the first part needing replacement. It's very awkward getting inside the innards of an SY99 synthesizer, it's a giant, and you have to do an almost total disassembly to reach it. If I could get a strong green/yellow LED type panel in there I'd solve all the problems at once, and visibility would be better too, because the contrast is vastly better.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

"Lostgallifreyan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns98D2CCADF94E7zoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130... | "Henry Kiefer" wrote in | news:45ccd330$1$18847$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool4.arcor-online.net: | | > Why don't use an EL? | >

| | Didn't like the colour. :) (Was a pasty wan sort of washy blue thing). Or | the relatively short life. A synthesizer is often on for very long | periods, and the EL is almost always the first part needing | replacement. It's very awkward getting inside the innards of an SY99 | synthesizer, it's a giant, and you have to do an almost total disassembly | to reach it. If I could get a strong green/yellow LED type panel in there | I'd solve all the problems at once, and visibility would be better too, | because the contrast is vastly better.

An EL lasts about 5000 h. Typical for LED is 10x times. There are much different colors available for EL. I don't think you can get a LED-sheet with the thickness of typical EL. Try to use a polycarbonate or PMMA flat sheet sand wiped and longered on one side to a bigger LED source.

If you can specifiy the outline I will have a look.

regards - Henry

Henry Kiefer

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in news:45ccda50$0$27619$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool2.arcor-online.net:

Longered? You mean like extended to take LED input from one end, like a light-pipe? Sanded on one flat surface to divert light out through the panel?

It might work, but I bet it will be awkward, and never look quite right. The panel is 240x64 px graphic. Modifying an EL type to take something like that will mean there's no easy way to get even illumination. If it could be done, I think it would be a standard part by now, and even worth patenting.

I was hoping that some kind of development in LED's or luminous polymers might have produced something like the standard green/yellow LED in the low-profile display panels. I look at times, to see what's new, but I've not seen anything yet.

The type that closest fits is RS part number 195-5709 (

) There's a datasheet there too. That's the LED type, but both types are there. The prices are scary! >:)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

"Lostgallifreyan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns98D2D80FE3FD4zoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130... | "Henry Kiefer" wrote in | news:45ccda50$0$27619$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool2.arcor-online.net: | | > Try to use a polycarbonate or PMMA flat sheet sand wiped and longered | > on one side to a bigger LED source. | >

| > If you can specifiy the outline I will have a look. | >

| | Longered? You mean like extended to take LED input from one end, like a | light-pipe? Sanded on one flat surface to divert light out through the | panel?

Yes. Sorry, English is not my first language.

| | It might work, but I bet it will be awkward, and never look quite right.

I don't know for sure. Maybe the light diffusion is a problem on large panels.

| The panel is 240x64 px graphic. Modifying an EL type to take something like | that will mean there's no easy way to get even illumination. If it could be | done, I think it would be a standard part by now, and even worth patenting.

The better ELs all have good light linearity. That is not the problem, only if it is much larger.

| | I was hoping that some kind of development in LED's or luminous polymers | might have produced something like the standard green/yellow LED in the | low-profile display panels. I look at times, to see what's new, but I've | not seen anything yet.

I don't know of one at the moment.

| | The type that closest fits is RS part number 195-5709 (

) | There's a datasheet there too. That's the LED type, but both types are | there. The prices are scary! >:)

Oh hefty price. Just looked for my coffee cup! So your problem is the price only!??

Send me a pm with:

- estimated life time of your end product

- number of displays needed (per anno or such)

- what's the space requirements

- controller i/o needed

- other importan details

And I will see if I can fit it.

regards -

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in news:45cd0ab3$1$5720$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool3.arcor-online.net:

No. :) There is that too, but my first base was to see if there was a panel that fitted my wish for one.

Thankyou, but I'm only after one, for a personal repair. Was just looking casually from time to time. I can't buy anything right now anyway, just spent £1000+ on laser diodes and a load of optics, will be several weeks before I next have money to spend. I just like to think ahead if I can. I like my SY99, and some time hope to make more use of it, and a new nice- looking display will help, if I can get it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

"Lostgallifreyan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns98D36524A81Czoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130... | "Henry Kiefer" wrote in | news:45cd0ab3$1$5720$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool3.arcor-online.net: | | > Oh hefty price. Just looked for my coffee cup! | > So your problem is the price only!?? | >

| | No. :) There is that too, but my first base was to see if there was a panel | that fitted my wish for one.

Just wait for money and buy the RS LED-version display. Where is the problem?

| | > Send me a pm with: | > - estimated life time of your end product | > - number of displays needed (per anno or such) | > - what's the space requirements | > - controller i/o needed | > - other importan details | >

| > And I will see if I can fit it. | >

| | Thankyou, but I'm only after one, for a personal repair. Was just looking | casually from time to time. I can't buy anything right now anyway, just | spent £1000+ on laser diodes and a load of optics, will be several weeks | before I next have money to spend. I just like to think ahead if I can. I | like my SY99, and some time hope to make more use of it, and a new nice- | looking display will help, if I can get it.

Sorry, I thought it is a development of a almost complete device.

Once I killed a 25mW laser diode. Shit.

- Henry

Henry Kiefer

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in news:45cd1960$2$18841$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool4.arcor-online.net:

And don't they die so easily? >:)

Mercifully, they are cheaper now. For a while I had to deal with 80 mW diodes at £50 each. Finding the new (and undeclared) extreme vulnerability to death by retroreflection was no fun at all. Put me off for a long time. I got a nice deal on some newer diodes at a price that makes risks and losses acceptable, so I'm off again.

Re the LED display, it wouldn't fit. I did get one anyway, built a wood box for it, fitted a 25 pin DSUB connector on the SY99 case back, and wired it into the circuit, but it is a grossly inelegant method. Either I find an LED panel that fits the space for the EL lit type, or I fit the EL type. The SY99 is totally unforgiving about available space.

Maybe I'll get lucky. The world would have a LOT of use for an LED backlit display that was as thin as the EL lit type. Someone out there might be making them. If so, I just hope they put out some kind of beacon I can see when I look for it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

What country are you in ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Lostgallifreyan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns98D3DC4D9F79zoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130... | "Henry Kiefer" wrote in | news:45cd1960$2$18841$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool4.arcor-online.net: | | > Once I killed a 25mW laser diode. Shit. | >

| | And don't they die so easily? >:) | | Mercifully, they are cheaper now. For a while I had to deal with 80 mW | diodes at £50 each. Finding the new (and undeclared) extreme vulnerability | to death by retroreflection was no fun at all. Put me off for a long time. | I got a nice deal on some newer diodes at a price that makes risks and | losses acceptable, so I'm off again. | | Re the LED display, it wouldn't fit. I did get one anyway, built a wood box | for it, fitted a 25 pin DSUB connector on the SY99 case back, and wired it | into the circuit, but it is a grossly inelegant method. Either I find an | LED panel that fits the space for the EL lit type, or I fit the EL type. | The SY99 is totally unforgiving about available space. | | Maybe I'll get lucky. The world would have a LOT of use for an LED backlit | display that was as thin as the EL lit type. Someone out there might be | making them. If so, I just hope they put out some kind of beacon I can see | when I look for it.

I used the laser diode out of a death opto memory drive. That is 10 years back.

There are two main failure mechanism:

  1. overcurrent
  2. elctrostatic discharge

A good suggestion is to directly solder a JFET across. The little guy will short the leads if the diode is pulled out or not on voltage.

You need the T6963C controller exclusively?

LEDs need to be wired/bounded on the substrate - so there is a minimum thickness.

regards - Henry

Henry Kiefer

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in news:45ce1eb7$1$5723$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool3.arcor-online.net:

Nice. I'll look into that idea.

Yes. I need a direct replacement for the original. I don't mind having to re-route the odd wire (I did so on my boxed version), but I have to connect to an existing circuit. I only want a compatible LED backlit display that will fit where the EL lit one is now. Construction in the SY99 absolutely prevents a thicker panel being used. Even the thin one fits with a SMALL fraction of a millimetre to spare.

Exactly. This is why I can't figure out why obdurate convention stops the panels being made thinner, unless it be to do with space needed for a diffuse light spread.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan