Down The Tubes?

I bought a bunch of vacuum tubes from a surplus electronics store that was going out of business, so many of them weren't marked as to what tubes they were-- but they were cheap. One in particular is a large eight inch tube that has four pins at the bottom and two connectors for electrode caps, one at the top and another one sticking off to the side in an "L" shaped arrangement.

It's obvious it's a power tube of some sort, but does anybody have any idea what kind? Diode or triode? I don't know if it's a tube number, but marked at the base by the filaments is the number 35049... Any help indentifying this tube would be appreciated.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Could be any of a number of parts. Can you post a pic?

John

If you can post a picture maybe I can help. Also post your question and a picture link to rec.antiques.radio+phono, someone there will know.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sigh... No; 'fraid not. For some inexplicable reason I can never keep a scanner working for more than ywo or three days at the most, then they go dead on me. Why, I don't know, but I have the remains of four scanners lying about just waiting for the garbage dump. ;-(

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Perhaps you're trying to shut the lid all the way when you try to scan a tube?

I'd think you'd diagnose the problem after breaking a few tubes, but if you have to break the scanner glass...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Hard to say without more info, but it may be an 810, Transmitting Triode. The max ratings of this tube are 2750 plate voltage, 250 ma plate current,

175 W dissipation., 10 volt fil. The base has four short pins. The grid is the side cap and the plate the top cap. The tube is 8 1/2 in long and 2 9/16 diameter. The base is a bayonet mount.
Reply to
Bob Eld

IIRC there are other tubes in the same package, but AFAIK (and I'm no expert) the 810 is most likely.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

LOL. No, I don't do that.... I scan only paper pages and on rare occasions, a few photos, and within a day or two after turning pages into .jpeg files or whatever, I usually have a dead scanner; go figure.

So now I quit buying scanners.; it's much cheaper that way.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard
.

e.

nt,

is

9/16
.

d text -

Thanks, Tim; I'll look into it. ;-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

,

/16

Mine doesn't *quite* look like the few pictures I can find of it; so it's likely to be the cheaper Chineese version I keep hearing about, but it's an 810! Thanks for the help; much appreciated! ;-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Don't dump them. Find a robotics hacker or someone who wants to build a small CNC milling machine. They can use the steppers and precision slide rods.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

p a

de

Hmmm, I would prefer to get one that'll last me more than three days...

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

LOL. No, I don't do that.... I scan only paper pages and on rare occasions, a few photos, and within a day or two after turning pages into .jpeg files or whatever, I usually have a dead scanner; go figure.

So now I quit buying scanners.; it's much cheaper that way.

Ron

You could use a digital camera, even one in a mobile 'phone, to take a shot of the tube/valve.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

You don't need a scanner. You need a digital camera, download the jpg to your computer and attach to email. No printer or scanner needed.

--
Claude Hopper          :)

?       ?       ¥

Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Reply to
Claude Hopper

What and break a camera and phone? Mike

Reply to
amdx

The cheapest USB digital camera I've seen, in a drug store, was $12.95. And there are several good free picture hosting web sites where you can dump stuff for everybody to see.

John

-- snippity snip ---

Probably in order to reach their drop zone without mishap (e.g. on account of extreme turbulence).

Chris

Reply to
christofire

If all I wanted to do was to post pictures, I don't even need a digital camera-- I can buy a cheap disposable film camera, take my photos, then have the developed pictures put onto a CD-- a process that takes less than a day. But scanners serve other purposes than just formatting pictures for the 'Net.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

On Jun 28, 7:15=A0pm, Ron Hubbard wrote: >

Disposable camera is a very expensive and time consuming way to do that. You might find the digital camera to be far more useful than you think. Taking something apart and want to get it back as it was? Pictures. Some jerk hit your car and start to drive away? Camera will stop them. Just as a joke I a snapped a pic of a 1" VTR scanner while it was rotating 1 rev / field (3596.4 rpm) and completely froze the motion. This is not some whiz-bang camera, just a Canon S2IS. You should try it - I bet you'd like it.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46