DIY Battery Contacts

I was going to use a 9V (PP3) for my project, but it won't fit in the compartment. Instead, I'm going to pile 6 alkaline button cells together and bind them with tape, to make a 9V that will fit.

What's a good way to make contact with a custom sized battery's contacts? I assume it's inadvisable to solder to alkaline buttons contacts? (I know Li cells are dangerous.)

FYI, my project needs to be completed today, in a short amount of time, so I can't run around trying to round up pieces at stores, etc., and need to rig something with things I've got already.

BTW, allowing for easy replacement of the battery would be nice, but it's not at all a requirement.

I've got some ideas, but they're not great (e.g., wad up wire leads and tape them tightly to battery contacts).

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

Just put them in a suitable plastic tube with a spring at one end forming one contact and a contact plate at the other. I did this trick with three 2032 coin cells. I used a plastic tube that once had sweets in it. I made a flat spiral of copper wire that sat in the bottom, and a short length of flat brass strip formed into a bow across the cap. Cut the tube to length and press in the cap. solder a wire to the brass strip first, because the plastic cap melts very easily.

HTH.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

I've soldered wires onto alkaline batteries for many years. Even though the terminals may look clean, I always scrap the Ni Oxide off, use a bit of sandpaper, and go for it. I always use safety glasses and low temp solder. The batteries do absorb a lot of the heat, so a little pencil type soldering iron works poorly. I use a soldering gun. But if you go this route, do be careful.

Li cells are indeed dangerous. Don't ever try to solder one of those.

Change of subject...

Alkaline cells and certain other types of "button" cells used in low current devices such as garage door openers, TV clickers, etc. are often thrown away and replaced when they are perfectly good. Always check the voltage on these before deciding whether to trash them or not. The terminals on these get a thin coating of Ni Oxide. You can't see it... it's not like iron rust. Just rub the terminals with a bit of sandpaper and in many (even most) instances the battery is as good as new. I've got TV clickers that have the same batteries that came with them over 8 years ago. It's usually just a matter of cleaning the terminals. Ni Oxide looks like bright metal, so many people just throw these batteries away without thinking.

Reply to
Old Mac User

Bare two lengths of hookup wire at the ends and shrink wrap to the battery.

--
.
.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

the ends and shrink wrap to the battery.

Thanks, I thought of that one, but would have needed 1" diameter shrink tubing. I only had thinner stuff on hand...

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

Thanks for the information. I sanded and soldered, and had no problems. :)

...and I just threw out a garage door battery without checking it. I'll remember to take your advice next time.

Reply to
Jamie Jackson

Sounds like a good plan for when I retrofit it to be able to use replaceable batteries.

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Jackson