Difference between Buffer and Latch

Latch is something once enabled holds the value for infinite time as long has it has Vcc and ground connections.

Buffer is something which holds the value for finite time during which you need to read it. It can essentially be a part of sample and hold circuit.

Please correct me if I am wrong in defining any of the two devices.

Reply to
aman

-------------- You're wrong. A buffer merely strengthens a aignal so that it can be fanned out with integrity or drive a heftier device. Any amplifier is a buffer. It outputs a state only as long as the state persists on its input(s).

A latch remembers the last state it was told to with another latching signal.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

Or polishes the floors.

Or secures the doors.

Reply to
Rex