design and parts ?

=_NextPart_000_0018_01C86E1F.20A73650 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I want to build the killer of all dog bark stoppers. (Sorry to any dog = lovers but we have neighbors with two dogs that they leave in a fenced = yard and they bark at anything that happens within a 1/2 mile day or = night.) I already have a device I bought that is tripped by barking and = has a couple piezo tweeters in it. Not enough power though. I've got a = power supply I salvaged out of some com gear that does 70 amps of +5 so = I was thinking I could use some high current power transistors to run a = whole bunch of those cheap piezo tweeters in parallel. I can adapt = existing circuits and combine designs but designing from scratch is a = little beyond my skills. Also I need parts suggestions for the power = transistor. I know I need an amp design that has a lot of current gain, = not voltage gain. And something I can run several of the amp circuits = in parallel if I need to. I was planning to drive it from the output = circuit of the existing bark stopper unit if I can. Otherwise if I need = to I can interject some opamps (741s) or common low power transistors = like the 2n2222 or 2n2907s to drive. I have a old tectronix 5mhz scope = and digital multi-meter and a collection of basic parts. Figuring I'll = have to get the power transistors from newark.=20

I'd previously been thinking about running a bunch of the piezoes in = series and using the 115v mains directly into dc with some sort of high = voltage amp circuit but then this 70 amp 5v power supply came along. = Figured it's be a lot safer that rectified mains.

Anyone want to give me some pointers?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

=_NextPart_000_002F_01C86E58.6EDCA330 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This reminds me of a story I read about the legendary Bob Widlar. = Apparently, he liked his office to be quiet. However, co-workers would = come in and try to talk to him while he was working. So, he built a = device that listened for voices, and while the offender was speaking, = would put out an annoying but quiet high pitch whine. As soon as the = person stopped talking, the whine would stop. So, while the device was = on, folks would walk into his office, and start talking, but would = immediately stop, noticing something out of the ordinary. They would try = again, and perhaps one more time, and then eventually walk out of the = office shaking their heads, unable to figure out why they felt odd when = trying to talk to Bob.

(I think I read this in Bob Pease's book "Troubleshooting Analog = Circuits")

BTW, your idea will wake up every dog within a mile, and they'll all = start barking. Buy some noise cancelling headsets, a gun, or perhaps = some cotton. Or make friends with your neighbor and get them to walk = their dogs.

[...]

Bob Monsen

Instead of doing all this crap which will most likely stir up more of a mess. Work out something with your neighbor to place barking collars on the dogs until the dogs understand the limits of barking. once that is done. The collars can be removed and fake one's put on..

It does work!.

What you're doing is not only hurting their ears but the ears of other animals that are not causing a problem and thus does make others actually bark in the attempt to kill the noise.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

=_NextPart_000_002B_01C86EDC.889F4960 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[...]

=_NextPart_000_0043_01C86EE1.37B588C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I knew I'd get some grief about this but was hoping someone would help = with parts and circuit suggestions.

The neighbor in question has been a problem for a long time. The only = noise laws we have on the books are designated hours at night. They = simply take the dogs in then. The allowable daylight hours are pretty = broad and make no consideration for weekends. Besides, how enjoyable = is being out on you deck in the afternoon with friends only to have dog = barking interrupt you constantly? I'm at the end of a street and we all = have big lots. The nieghbor on the other side of me and the neighbor on = the other side of the problem don't have dogs. There is a public trail = running through the wood behind us. It makes the situationn worse = because the dogs bark at every one jogging or walking on that trail = until they are out of sight. We have a cat so we're not without some = sympathy for animals. But let's be realistic, thousands of unwanted = cats and dogs are simply killed every day. They are just animals. = Millions of other animals are killed daily just for us to eat.=20

[...]

jamesgangnc TOP-POSTED (without any marking to show who posted what):

Your posting style SUCKS.

Ah.

It might help if you would configure the PoS tool you use.

Reply to
JeffM