Constructing ab' with a NAND

..

Use a single transistor as inverter, or use the NAND as an inverter for DTL?

Tim

Tim Williams

I'm designing a small alarm-circuit for a veroboard and I've run into a problem that I hope anyone can help me with.

The truth table for triggering my alarm is this:

a b trig alarm

0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1
Reply to
Rikard Bosnjakovic

Method 1: Invert b with a transistor stage to give b', then NAND(a,b') = 0, then invert that with another transistor stage to get Out = 1

Method 2: Invert b with NAND gate to give b', then AND(a,b') = 1 = Out with a couple of diodes, like this:

5V ----------o---------- | | | .-. | | | | 2k2 '-' | o-------o OUT | IN a --|
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

--
Diode-Transistor-Logic.

Reply to
John Fields

--
Sure.

"What\'s DTL?(from SED)" posted earlier today to
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Reply to
John Fields

What's DTL?

-- Sincerely, |

Rikard Bosnjakovic | Code chef - will cook for food

Rikard Bosnjakovic

Somehow I cannot follow these links. Doesn't work in either Mozilla's news-reader, Outlook express, Gnus or pine.

Can you name the subject and date of the article?

--
Sincerely,                      |                http://bos.hack.org/cv/
Rikard Bosnjakovic              |         Code chef - will cook for food
Rikard Bosnjakovic

Thank you, that method worked fine.

I do however have some questions. Using the schematic you posted, if I connect a LED between OUT and GND, the LED will light when a and b are high (this is expected, since the circuit is an AND).

Since this AND-gate is controlling a buzzer (alarm), I connected it to a transistor and the buzzer. If I dont use the transistor, it won't work because of too low current (I think).

So, I grabbed a BC547 NPN from my box, connected OUT to the base, buzzer red wire to +5 and buzzer black wire to the collector. The emitter I sent to ground. However, this circuit makes the buzzer buzz all the time, just as if there is always a current to the base of the transistor, completely regardless of the a and b inputs.

I'm by all means an utter novice to transistors, but the fact that the LED was off when either the a and b inputs to the AND was low made me think that there will be absolutely no current to OUT, and therefore the transistor should not let current flow through its collector and emitter, and therefore the buzzer should not buzz either.

Obviously, I'm thinking wrong somewhere but I can't figure it out.

--
Sincerely,                      |                http://bos.hack.org/cv/
Rikard Bosnjakovic              |         Code chef - will cook for food
Rikard Bosnjakovic

Having confirmed last night that my main HD is at risk of failure, my priorities have suddenly changed! So I'll have to be brief, and anyway I expect you just want to get it working. Wire the buzzer between the EMITTER and ground, with collector to +5V.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK