Coil primer?

--Am thinking of making some custom solenoid valves for a special project but am clueless about coils. What I would like to find is a primer that describes the parameters and their effects; i.e. x turns of 22ga wire on a mandrel of y dia will produce n ounces of force at one volt or some such. Any pointers appreciated.

--
        "Steamboat Ed" Haas         :  The impeachment process
        Hacking the Trailing Edge!  :  exists for a reason...

See if you can pick up a used copy of "Solenoids Electro-magnets and Electro-magnetic Windings" By Harles N Underhill ISBN 1-55918-096. Originally published in 1914 and reprinted in 1992.

Has everything you need and a lot of stuff you probably haven't thought of. Designs with all shapes and sizes, from small pull solenoids to lifting electromagnets used with cranes. Easy to understand and with several useful tables to make designing easy.

Reply to
default

--Thanks; sounds like something I can get from Lindsay!