12VDC to 18VDC

Does this still require a conversion to ac, up the voltage and then reconversion to dc? I would like to be able to use my motorcycle battery to power my laptop. Can someone point me to a schematic to accomplish this?

thanks Newfdog

Reply to
Newfdog

National Semiconductor have a handy online tool to help you use their ICs

To reply to me directly:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gareth

Sounds like a generic 12 volt input laptop power supply would work. Check Ebay.

Reply to
John

Hi, Newfdog. Conversion to AC and back to DC isn't required, nor is it the most efficient way of doing things, but it will probably be the easiest. Also, a canned store-bought solution is probably the safest for your computer.

How about getting an automotive inverter rated for at least twice the wattage of your AC adapter? It's pretty much mistake-proof. I'd get an inverter rated for at least 100 watts for a standard laptop. Then you can just plug your desktop adapter into the inverter, and you're good to go.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Is this to use as a connection to your bike? The 12 volt input to the laptop may work fine. Just be absolute sure about the polarity before connecting it.. JTT

Reply to
James Thompson

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looking for something cheap :). Inverters are over $100 in this neck of the woods. I am going to try and put something together.

Newfdog

Reply to
Newfdog

I just picked up a xantrex 400W one on sale for $9.99. Amazon has them for about triple that. But not as high as $100.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Hi. Look at this:

Part Number 47639-4VGA Chicago Electric 175W/350W MODIFIED SINEWAVE POWER INVERTER $14.99 USD plus shipping and handling.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris