CCTV question

How much shielding is "enough" depends on how much interfering field is present and what interference you are willing to tolerate.

The main problem you will have with CAT5 cable is that is has the wrong impedance and is likely to create ghost images or blur edges horizontally, depending on how long a splice you make. You might be able to remedy those problems by changing the source or load termination, but using the right kind of coax would be simpler.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

For a remote camera with a regular RCA type plug output do you think I could splice in CAT5 cable for the run? Would it have enough inherent shielding for the job?

Reply to
Dannyboyy

NO! Do the job right.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

could

shielding

There are baluns sold that match the two. I also recall seeing circuits to activly drive over 1000' of CAT5e, but where?

This should get you started

Reply to
Lord Garth

CAT5 is 100-ohm balanced; RCA coax video is 75-ohm unbalanced. You need balun transformers at each end, or active line-driver / receivers.

Reply to
Andrew Holme