Car Remote Control - jamming

Hello

All of our cars have remote controls and up until yesterday worked fine on our driveway. However now none of the car remote controls work on our driveway, if we unlock our cars manually and drive up the road the remote controls work.

Can anyone suggest what might cause this?

TIA

Reply to
rition

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (known to some as snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) scribed...

First suspect in any situation like this: Batteries in the remotes.

Happy tweaking.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

All of them at once? Not very likely IMO.

--
Regards,

It\'s time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
Reply to
Doug Miller

do you have wireless pole cable systems in your area? if so, it's possible a recent installation maybe saturating the receivers in the cars in the area of problems.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Checked batteries - still don't work on the drive but all remotes work down the road.

Reply to
rition

Not that we know of, everything worked fine until yesterday (Saturday) and then ours and visitors cars all failed to respond to remotes.

Reply to
rition

snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk wrote in :

I dont know where you live. But .. I live in San Diego and for people along the coast, what you describe is not unusual. I have heard that the Navy does jamming tests but cannot confirm this. All I know is that when I get off work downtown(near the ocean) my alarm remote will not work, but when I get out of my car at home (away from the coast) it works fine.

This doesnt happen all the time .. just every now and then.

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Um.. HE said they all worked after he drove away from his house... Those batteries much be intelligent to know that.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Chances are its noise. After all if it works in one place and not another then theres not many possibilities.

If you know where the reciever is you could try to put the remote right next to it and see if it works then.

Chances are something else is transmitting on that signal and causing interference.

You could try something like trangulation to find the problem if you like treasure hunt type of stuff.

That is, get a map and start at some point and mark on the map if the remote worked at that point or not. Move to the next point and try again. Keep doing this and you might end up with a circle and at the center would be your problem(approximately). Of course this assumes that whatever is interfering with the signal occurs at a single spot and is able to radiate in all directions equally well.

Although it might be kinda hard to do something like that because you can't drive your car just anywhere... but it might give you a good idea.

Theres absolutely no reason why they shouldn't work except if something else is using the same frequency band. (radio transmission is suppose to be spatially invariant and if it wasn't then it would be quite useless. That or your in some type of gravitational worm hole thingamajig.)

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

That would imply an arcing electrical circuit close to the house.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson