Capacitor discharge probes

circuit is

is just

survive

the same

whether it

Yes. If you extrapolate the initial slope of an exponential like this, it intersects the asymptotic limit in 1 tau.

My initial wild-guess thinking was to guess the thermal time constant of a resistor (semething I do have a vague feeling for) and guess its joule capacity from its power rating and that. It is more scientific to look at the initial slope, degc/sec per watt, pick some peak temperature, and do the math from that.

Sort of the same thing.

So, using 150C peak, this resistor is good for about 200 joules. My

10-watt, hold-it-as-long-as-you-can estimate was similar.

"One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions."

- Werner Von Braun

How did you measure temperature?
Reply to
John Fields

ged your

he circuit is

.1s voltage is just

nly survive

ieve the same

ergy in a

to 400

d in the

r whether it

f all

=3D P * T

is

less

ybe 1

time

al

it

g?

Yeah I sorta realized you'd done the same thing, But those were thoughts on the stairs.

I'd still like to try dumping 100=92s of Joules in one second into a resistor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Taped a fine-wire thermocouple to it with kapton tape.

John

your

circuit is

voltage is just

survive

the same

in a

400

the

whether it

be careful with that.

50J exploded 20 guage magnet wire like a fuse and blew a piece into my hand once.

I wasn't expecting that to happen at all.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

harged your

g the circuit is

=3D0.1s voltage is just

tainly survive

achieve the same

energy in a

ed to 400

mped in the

stor whether it

t of all

=3D P * T

T is

ybe less

aybe 1

time

is

mal

ng it

ng?

by

at

I had a bit of time to 'let the smoke' out of some carbon comps yesterday. The 10 ohm bin was depleted, but I have a lot of 15 ohm R's. These are 1/2 Watt. It was fairly easy to pulse the power supply on for 1 second, (watching on a 'scope). I measured the resistance before and after pulsing (and after waiting for the resistor to cool.) There was not much change until ~16 joule pulses. Then the resistance increased by an ohm or so with the first pulse, but then showed only smaller increases on subsequent pulses.

Here's some numbers for 16 joule pulses.

pulse number resistance

0 15.4 1 15.9 2 16.0 3 16.0 4 16.1

At higher energy levels the change was bigger. I had three different tolerance resistors. (5%, 10% and ones with a orange and silver band.) The 5% and 10% seemed about the same. The resistors with the orange band would crack open at lower energy levels and some sort of goo was visible. (at around the 25 joules.)

To scale for resistors of different power levels I observed that the area of a resistor is about proportional to its CW power. (this makes sense, but I=92d never measured.) Since you might expect the pulse power to scale as the volume, this should go as something like the CW power to the 3/2 power. (I=92m pretty much making this up, but I assume Phil A. will correct me (a verbal spanking) if I say something stupid.) So a 2 watt carbon comp might handle 8 times the energy... ~130 Joules. Pretty darn close to John L=92s 100 J number.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold