Camping Electric Fence as a Bear Deterrent

I hope this system could be used overnight when camping in forests with bea rs and be powered by batteries. The wire perimeter could be attached to tre es with fence staples and a turnbuckle could be used to tighten the wires. A inverter circuit with ferrite transformers could be used to initially ste p-up the voltage from 12V DC to 120V AC with a 10:1 transformer and then an other transformer would step the voltage from 120V to 1200V with another 10 :1 transformer. It might be possible to do the step up with one 100:1 trans former but it seems easier with 2 10:1 transformer since it would require m uch less windings and I suspect more power output since their is less induc tance on the secondary? Could both transformers be wound the same for 12V t o 120V inverter step up and then the 120V to 1200V step up or would the tra nsformers have to be wound differently due to the difference in voltages an d current? I assume the output current would simply be the inverse of the v oltage step-up as I want this to be a bear deterrent, not an electrocution for the bear or myself or a Ranger! I'm not sure of the exact voltage and c urrent I would need so any advice would be welcome. Brock

Reply to
durabol74

Of course if the bear did get in, he might wind up stuck inside with you.

Personally I'd take my chances with black bears and avoid camping where there are brown bears.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

At least against polar bears, perimeter fence that contains some small explosives are sometimes used. The explosion might scare the bear, but at least wake you up, so that you have time to grab the gun and be prepared to shoot, if the bear tries to enter your tent.

If you go for the electric fence, it will definitively work if the bear is sniffing the line and get a nasty shock in the nose. I once got 230 Vac mains in my nose when sniffing for hot spots in a new power supply, it really hurts :-)

However, have you measured the fur resistance for a dry bears in your region ? I would expect that the bear would even notice if the wire contacts anywhere else than the head and especially nose.

Anyway, if you go for the electric fence, make sure that you also include a loop break detection (wild animal will break the loop without being electrocuted) as well as ground fault detection (current through animal to ground). If any of these faults occur, some alarm should be activated, wakening up you and potentially scaring the animal. You might not need high voltages or currents for this.

Reply to
upsidedown

[...]

Sounds heavy. It's been a while but we always used a bear can.

Good for skunks and raccoons too.

When camping in the bear country we also use to take a stash of throwing rocks into the tent with us... never used 'em.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Domestic animals have to learn what electric fences are all about, and they tend to be more tractable than wild predators.

I think that the likelihood of having to deal with a pissed-off, freaked- out bear inside the enclosure with you is at least as high as the likelihood that the fence will protect you.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

Den tirsdag den 15. november 2016 kl. 16.07.52 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

e:

[...]

I think I'd choose of those sticks that throw metal rocks with the help of a bit chemistry

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A bear that's been bonked on the nose with a rock is probably more likely to run away than one that's been shot in the head. And you'd need a pretty big gun to deter a bear.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Grin.. well it's not an experiment that I want to try. The rocks were a suggestion by a local park ranger type in Yosemite. I think they were more to make us feel good. "OK, I've got my rocks, now I can go to sleep."

Perhaps some gun owners keep their pistol in the bedside table for the same reason.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[...]

There are plenty of battery operated electric fence u nits already available. Also the tape used for the a ctual fence material. Check out any agricultural sup ply house for livestock control.

--
Regards,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

A friend of my uncle's bagged a black bear with a single shot from a

22LR. It's head was on the wall in the breakfast nook. It had been pissing her off, raiding her garbage. She also bagged a polar bear with a .30-06. It was on her living room floor. ;-)
Reply to
krw

[...]

The bear isn't going to even see the wire in the black of night, all it's g oing to know is it got stung.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Keep it in the drawer. Loaded (but nothing chambered).

Reply to
krw

want this to be a bear deterrent, not an electrocution for the bear or myself or a Ranger! I'm not sure of the exact voltage and current I would need so any advice would be welcome.

Sorry, I dont discuss lethal devices. Have a nice jail time.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I could have guessed as much. :^) With a 15 yro young man in the house I sleep better at night w/o a pistol.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

for most people the risk of having a gun is probably higher than the risk of needing one, but anyways

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You wouldn't think I'd keep a round chambered?

The cats are the only ones in the house younger than I am. Without opposable thumbs, they'll have a problem with the slide.

OTOH, it's better to teach the kid how to handle firearms than hope he never does. Sorta like drinking, IMO. Better to teach them than not.

Reply to
krw

Utter nonsense.

Reply to
krw

Wait -- a polar bear broke into her living room and she shot it?

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Well, not in *her* living room. It is colder than a titch's wit in Northern Wisconsin but not quite that cold. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Oh I don't have a problem with that. My son's a bit weapons crazy, so it will be hard to keep guns away. I worry about accidents and suicide. If he gets depressed and can figure out how to off himself with the 22 rifle...

Well lotsa ways to kill yourself.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold