Building a serial remote

I'm trying to build a remote control that works over serial.

I've never tried anything like this before so I don't know how to go about it.

I know I need a 232 driver chip to convert the voltage from a 5v PIC output to the 12v serial link.

What I really need is a circuit diagram and advice on which PIC to use to create a serial bit stream and if possible some code to do it.

It needs to have about 13 buttons on it, and if possible a small (6 or 8 by

1) backlit LCD to receive text, the backlight should turn off after about 10 seconds, and there should be a switch to turn the remote off completely to stop accidental button pressses.

There seems to be so many programmable chips that have all sorts of options but I don't know which is best.

Thanks Darren

Reply to
Darren

about

output

8 by

about

completely

options

If you're going to use a PIC, then look at the 16F628 or 16F88. These are the "generic" 18pin parts, the 88 contains real ADC's whereas the

628 contains only comparators. The 16F876 and 16F877 are nice 28 and 40 pin parts respectively.

If you are just starting out with PICs, you may wish to learn the

18F452. It is a 16bit instruction word core with many enhancements over the 16F series.
Reply to
Anthony Fremont