Book recommendations

I have had some Electrical Engineering 101-style classes in college as part of the CS degree. However, there is lots of basic and advanced stuff that I missed. The books I have read in the past were very slow paced ("this is a resistor- look, it makes the bulb glow less bright") or way over my head. High-level digital stuff (gates, flip-flops, and friends) I am fine with, but when looking at low-level and analog circuits I start scratching my head. Things like:

- what does a Zener diode do ?

- why did they choose a PNP over an NPN ?

- why is there a resistor in that signal line ?

- that capacitor probably filters low frequency components, but how did they come up with the amount of capacitance ?

What books / articles / online literature would you recommend ?

Thanks !

Reply to
grubertm

wrote;

The Art of Electronics 2/e by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill Cambridge University Press, 1989

1125 pages, hardcover ISBN 0-521-37095-7

Is one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Regards,

-Bruce

Bruce

Try "Electronics for Dummies" -- Amazon

--
.
Reply to

Electronic Devices by Floyd, brilliant book:

This is the edition I have but there are many newer versions, but since you are after the fundementals, save yourself some money and get one of the older versions.

Reply to
gruneecaig

Thanks for the recommendation. "Art of Electronics" sounds great, but even the used copies are still quite expensive so I went the cheap way and ordered "Electronic Devices" instead.

Reply to
grubertm

Yes. Even someone with no formal training in electronics should be able to get much from this book.

Roger Dewhurst

I hear that the third edition is even better! ;-)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If your public Library is on the Dewey Decimal System, browse 621.384 or so. :-)

Have fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's because noone wants to get rid of their copy.

Try your city library - even if you can't own a copy it's worth reading.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Over here it's 621.381

Next saturday I have to return it, fortunately they have two copies :)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

And it can be found illegally posted hither and yon IIRC.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

First thing I tried; unfortunately no library in the county has it. There are copies at the local college library, but their annual library card costs 1.2 * the book price ;)

Reply to
grubertm

Sit and read it for free?

--