basic question

the speed sendor/sensor on my streetrod transmission turns on and off (pulses) 12v sending it to the speedometer.

I have an old scope that I barely know how to use .. and it shows a nice square wave

with the speedo disconnected my fluke reads 6v so I guess I am measuring average voltage.

now the problem

Im working on a project where I feed these pulses to a microprocessor

If I dont have the speedo connected and just connect the sender to the micro .. it works fine.

but ..

when I connect the speedo and "tap" into the signal line I only measure 1v and its not enough to trigger the micro

not sure what to do ..

thanks for any help mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Opamp?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

CMOS buffer would be easier and better for square waves. The ever-popular CD4049 has 6 in one package. These are inverting buffers, so if polarity is important (which I doubt here), use one of them to invert the sensor signal, and feed it to the rest, which invert it back. You'll then have 5 copies of the signal to use. You can parallel these as needed if one destination needs more drive current.

Best regards.

Bob Masta D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

snipped-for-privacy@daqarta.com (Bob Masta) wrote in :

Cool Bob .. I'll check that out .. thanks

mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD