matching transformer primary turns question

i have a few questions to ask that someone here might be able help me

i want to design a matching transformer for my application that can dissipate 100w operating freq 40khz my impedance is not calculated yet i know conductor size i will be using for primary and secondary i know how to calculate the turn ratio pri to sec here i have no problem

so my question is is it possible to define with the maximum power dissipation that the core can take ( 100W max total pri and sec together) for the amount of turns on the primary regarless of primary to secondary turn ratio

i know that if the primary to sec turn ratio remain constant for the design but for example say that my primary winding has input impedance of 100 ohms if that primary has 2000 turns and secondary has

200 turns the transformer wont be real efficient on the other way if the primary has 20 turns and secondary 2 the same problem will arize

in simple words is there a way to get by caculation the optimum primary turns for a matching transformer regadless of the sec to pri turn ratio

the second question is there sutch a thing has "optimum primary volts per turn" in a matching transformer

please help me out on this one before i get lost :) or it might be too late :(

any help appreciated

thank's Steve Normandin

Reply to
nanotech

Firstly, i seriously doubt that you are runnung so much power that the *loss* in the transformer is 100 watts. Furthermore, no design *starts* with transformer losses. Now, a slight tilt towards reality.. Is this transformer for power and/or a fixed sine wave (what frequency?), or is it for a switcher of some sort (what is the contemplated switching rate?) ? I presume the load power will be about 100 watts.

Reply to
Robert Baer