How to Test Variable Autotransformers?

I have a few variable autotransformers of unknown quality. What checks and/or tests should be performed to ensure that they are (safely) suitable for use? Can you recommend any URLs that I can study?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Suitable for use with what? A visual inspection and connecting one to power and measuring the output is about all I've ever done to check them, they're pretty simple devices, not much to go wrong really.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have seen autotransformers designed for 400 Hz on the surplus market. They will draw excessive no-load current if powered up at 60 Hz ... unless you derate the input voltage by 60/400 = 0.15, which makes them rather useless.

Hopefully, yours have nameplates indicating ratings.

Roby

Reply to
Roby

If you can visually inspect the windings, that's a good thing to do. I have run across a couple in which one or two of the turns developed some slack - who knows how? The slider tends to catch on the slack turn, which will probably make some fine fireworks if it drags the loop or breaks it.

Bill Jeffrey ==========================

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Slap a load on them. Add a regular light bulb. Otherwise check ground and insulation.

NSM

That's easy enough to test for. Put a 150 watt lamp in series with the primary and power it up with no load. If the lamp lights brightly the transformer is either bad or built for a higher line frequency.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida