attraction force on electromagnets

hi everybody. the question is simple: what's the formula to calculate attraction force of an electromagnet (in newtons) ? other question: has repulsion force between two magnets, the same value that attraction force between those same magnets?

Reply to
Camilo Andres Gil Cardona

The answer to the second question is yes, provided the N and S poles of a given magnet are shaped the same way.

The answer to the first question is not as simple as you would hope. It depends one whether the magnet is a horseshoe magnet, a bar magnet, a solenoid, a toroid, whether there's a ferric core,...

PD

Reply to
Paul Draper

As a personally interesting anecdote, I was once responsible for the design, construction, and operation of a 250,000 lb iron-core toroidal magnet. I chose to instrument it with a Hall probe, embedded in a thin slot in one side. But the slot itself would disturb the field, which I had to account for. I proposed a linear model to calculate that, superimposing a piece of "negative iron" where the slot was, and calculating the total field of the magnet, against which I could compare the Hall probe measurement. This approach was deemed clever by my professors until a young post-doc pointed out to me, in a fatherly conversation in the hallway, that iron core magnets are nonlinear beasts and superposition doesn't work, a revelation that left me sick to my stomach. Sure enough, the Hall probe read values that were inconsistent with calculations and with the backup instrumentation. I ended up doing a very complicated lattice-relaxation calculation on a mainframe computer to compute the field.

PD

Reply to
Paul Draper