Another noob question- Input output pins & MII/GPSI or Host/DTE

Another couple of level 1 questions, hope you guys bear with me ;)

1) I'm trying to connect my Belfuse powerline module and my Ethernet transceiver (Micrel's KS8721B). Do i connect input type pins to input type pins and output type pins to output type pins?

For example my TX0~3 of my powerline module, do i connect to the TX0~3 of KS8721B or do i have to cross it and connect it to the RX of the ethernet PHY?

2) The Belfuse powerline module has 2 types of connection interfaces listed on the datasheet:

MII/GPSI & Host/DTE. I understand to communicate with the Ethernet transceiver i should use the MII interface. However, can i also treat the KS8721B as a DTE and use the 2nd one?

The reason is i tried requesting application notes and reference designs for the powerline modules and they said none was available. So, due to my inexperience there are a couple of pins which i do not know how to connect between the powerline module and the KS8721B.

However, with the Host/DTE interface based on the rather limited description on the datasheet i was to figure out how to connect or what to do with most of the pins.

I understand to answer this question would require you guys to read the datasheet and might be alot to ask. But i hope anyone could give me some pointers. Thanks!

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Btw, is it normal for a company to produce something and do not produce any reference designs and application notes to help the user implement their product?

Or do they only give it to big companies who order a few millions pieces from them and refrain from giving it to the 'little users' like me?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

Then, take it back and demand your money back, because they sold it to you under false pretenses. If they won't even tell you the pinout of their own product, then there's something very wrong with that vendor.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
Ant_Magma

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:24:52 -0800, Ant_Magma top-posted:

Maybe I don't know what "reference design" means. Do you mean like those example circuits like in the LM317 data sheet? Maybe they think you want them to do your homework for you. Have you asked them if there are any "application notes?"

And please bottom-post - it's the accepted convention around here.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What you mean by bottom post?

Yes, i requested for reference designs, application notes etc.

How about regarding to my problem, any ideas?

Reply to
Ant_Magma