AM receiver convert to ATC receiver

Not in the U.S. they don't... at least not without attracting a lot of legal trouble for themselves.

*Shielding* isn't illegal, though, and some companies might purposely build rooms where RF has a hard time getting in and out.

You should think about WHY jammers are generally illegal though: RF doesn't pay attention to walls or other boundaries in ways that are always obvious to the human senses, so you have no way of knowing whether you're jamming some cop in the next room or some physician in the car next to you even when you have a low power jammer that works over "only" 50'. As such, you're potentially putting someone at significant risk for some stupid joke with your pals, hence it should be obvious why the laws are the way they are.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

And useage is no indicator of legality.

Most people who talk about wanting to jam cellphones don't have a clue about what's involved or the rules governing the radio frequencies. Since they don't know about the laws, if they felt a need to jam cellphones likely they'd jump at the chance if offered a jammer. And of course, it being illegal there are always people willing to supply the product, they likely can make money from it. At the very least, little competition.

I don't doubt that some places in North America have cellphone jammers. That doesn't make the legal. I have no doubt in other parts of the world that some places use jammers; they may be "allowed" through lax laws, or just lack of man power to track them down.

There may be places where they are legal, but having written that I find it harder and harder to imagine it. Not because there might be some countries in the world where they care less about radio frequencies, but that cellphones have become so commonplace that they can't be treated like the "wild west" of the early days of radio.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Going a bit further, the Rules and Regs say than unlicensed equipment, although they may meet the Part 15 requirements, must not interfere with services that are licensed for operation on a frequency. To knowingly interfere is a clear violation of the law. Frankly, if I knew of anyone pulling the unfunny "prank" I would call the FCC and expect fast action.

Reply to
Don Bowey