All Ob A Sudden, Starter Motors Is So Small & Light You Can Carry 'em Home In A Filmy Shoppin Bag

Summin didn't look right. The replacement starter motor was 2/3rds the dia of the original, mebbe haf the wait.

I tink, WTF? Weren't all them optimum nummers well settled back in the early Nicolacene?

I toght, heck, no need to strap it onto the bike rack. I'll just stick hit into a shoppin bag.

Affer an easy installation, the thang _akutually werked._!

Affer about 2 days a theory hemorrhaged:

Rare earf magnets is so cheap now they look good on any motor's cost spread sheet.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Or copper is so expensive.

Reply to
default

Or some combination thereof.

The new motor was more expensive than the old by the usual inflation rate.

This is the sort of thing that makes you optimistic about CAGW.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Gear reduction starters are another way to make the starters much smaller, (if you had one of those you'd probably notice that the motor is offset to the pinion gear - not in line with it)

It costs more for the gears, but the motor is smaller and there's a lot less load on the electrical system so the wire to the starter can be smaller, or the battery located further from the heat of the engine, the battery can be smaller...

default

It takes less torque to start more modern cars, mainly because of the camsh aft. Because of more valve overlap the effective compression ratio at idle and below is less than the theoretical. It is not for pollution as some may think, it increases the volumetric efficiency of the engine which helps it more easily attain the higher RPMs.

I had a Buick with a V6 and I swear that thing took more juice to run than to start. The alternator quit and it stalled out but it would still crank.

Reply to
jurb6006

The small starter got weaker and weaker when hot and finally would only work once when cold. I had to replace it after 6 months.

I never noticed it when installing but there was an 800 tech support nummer on the small starter. The guy asked questions about it being grounded, etc., that made no sense after 6 months of usage.

I took it back and sure nuff the replacement, while smaller than OEM, was larger than the starter I had bought 6 months earlier. None of the 3 sizes were geared motors so someone got overly ambitious trying to save money on copper.

Moral of the story:

_Always be suspicious of low tech stuff requiring tech support_.

Reply to
Bret Cahill