Can all DC motors be reversed?

Can all DC motor leads be reversed so the motor runs in the other direction equally well?

I have a 36 V DeWalt cordless drill motor that has a casing with a molded plus sign on it. Clearly they very much want the positive motor speed control lead to be attached at that terminal. But maybe that plus sign is just so that the worker will connect the wire to the right terminal so that the motor will turn in the right direction when the drill's switch is turned to "forward"?

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

================================= I think there is a slight 'timing' or a couple of degrees of 'advance' on the brushes in the preferred direction to give the current a little jumpstart on overcoming the L/R time constant in the windings?

Reply to
BobG

The smart thing to do would be to get a voltmeter, clip it across the motor, and see what you get, forward and reverse.

Any permanent magnet motor should work like this, although as BobG mentioned, it might affect efficiency.

And no, "ANY" dc motor can't be reversed just by swapping the leads - for series wound "universal" motors, you have to swap either the field leads or the armature leads, but not both.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In theory one could build a DC motor that would jam the brushes or suffer other mechanical damage were it run in reverse. Practically I would be very surprised to find one unless it were above 1HP output -- and even then I'd be surprised.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

No.

  1. Motors which use coils for both rotor and stator (rather than using permanent magnets for one of them) will rotate the same way regardless of polarity. Reversing the polarity will reverse both fields, leaving the rotation unchanged.

  1. Motors which aren't designed to be reversible may have the brushes aligned for a specific rotation. Such motors will often run in reverse, but with reduced efficiency and/or longevity.

  2. If the motor has an integral cooling fan, it may not work (or not work so well) in the opposite direction.

  1. If the "motor" consists of embedded electronics along with the actual motor, all bets are off.

Reply to
Nobody

--
No.
Reply to

Well, I guess you answered your own question.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Not nearly as well as the reply authors. I'm schooled.

Reply to
John Doe

You're schooled? what the hell is that suppose to mean?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

newssvr21.news.prodigy.net!newsdbm04.news.prodigy.net!newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!news.astraweb.com!border1.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!hwmnpeer01.lga!news.highwinds-media.com!hw-filter.lga!newsfe12.lga.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)

Reply to
John Doe