Can You light a 70W Metal Hylyde lamp from a 12VDC sourse

I would like to how to do this?????

I konw their are RCL curcuit that can do this with a step down transformer connected in reverse

-- My cat Tigger says every morning... "Before my morning coffee... I might as well be a dog!" To contact follow the link below.

Scott Wiper

You should use a proper power supply. Arc lamps explode or melt if they're not powered correctly. The power parameters aren't trivial; they have to be looked up in the lamp's specifications.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

You cannot put DC through a transformer. If your lamp is using the mains voltage, there is something called an inverter. A minimum size 100 Watt inverter to the mains standard for your lamp should work for you, if this is a 70 Watt lamp. Doing it this way would be much less efficient, and more costly than having a 70 Watt 12 Volt lamp in the first place.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Scott Wiper"  wrote in message
I would like to how to do this?????

I konw their are RCL curcuit that can do this with a step down transformer
connected in reverse
Reply to
Jerry G.

--- You buy a 12 volt, 70 watt Metal Hylyde lamp and you connect it to the

12V source, which should be able to supply at least 6 amps when the lamp is hot and probably close to 60 amps when the lamp is first turned on.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

--
Oops...

Got "Metal Hydride" and "Halogen" confused; ignore previous
instructions.
Reply to
John Fields