±5V from up to +12v

Careful with those--they work great, except that the heat sinking is quite a bit less great. The best package runs 22 K/W junction to "case", whatever that means in a plastic-encapsulated package with no power tab. That's quite a bit considering that the chip can dissipate over 40W before thermal shutdown kicks in. (Steady-state thermal transfer calculations would put the die at about 900C with an infinite room-temperature heat sink--a nice bright red-orange glow.)

They run warm to the touch just with their quiescent current.

As a rail splitter, you have to watch out for the chip hitting thermal shutdown, which will probably make one rail collapse. A couple of beefy Zeners on the output would help prevent Joergish noises.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[snip]

Further complications...

The spice models for 7805's are less than robust... they're capable of sinking current, which no real 7805 can do. ...Jim Thompson

Grin, Hey, the TCA0372's are burning a hole in my parts bin :^) (maybe the OP only needs ~100mA) I must admit when you (or someone else?) pointed out these 1 amp IC's in a dip8 package I was a bit 'concerned'. (I'd really like a nice to-220 style metal tab.. or a surface mount with 'power pads' on the bottom.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Just how strict is the need for +/- 5V? With a 7905 you could make a "strict" 5V supply, with the ground to negative voltage being whatever is left over. The diagram shows what you'd get with your 12V supply, assuming that it's actually 12V in practice:

V+ o------------o------------o +5V | .-----. .--| |---------o GND | '-----' | LM7905 V- o------o------------------o -7V

As with other circuits using the LM7x05, you need to make sure that the current is flowing the correct direction at the "out" pin -- in this case the ground current would need to have a net flow from the +5V rail, or the chip would fall out of regulation.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

They're amazingly useful if you think of them as a 100-200 mA part with a lot of overload capacity and a very nice low Zout.

I recently used them to make a single-ended high-Z front end amplifier whose input could be biased +-5V from ground. I used voltage regulators to make the +-5, referenced to the "adjustable ground" at the output of a TCA0372. Worked great, and for half a buck, they're unbeatable. I agree, it would be great if they came in a power pad package. Of course there's always the LM675 for that, but it isn't half a buck!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Here you go....

...Jim Thompson

If you only need a watt or two, there are cheap SIP dc/dc converters that will do this.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Daniel Pitts wrote in news:hbRdu.262470$ snipped-for-privacy@fx29.iad:

The other replies have covered in some detail the disadvantages of starting with +12V DC in.

Do you have any adapters with AC output between 8V and 12V (RMS)?

If so, a much better approach would be to half-wave rectify the AC with a diode and electrolytic reservoir capacitor for each supply to get positive and negative unregulated supplies with a common 0V, then using

7805 and 7905 regulators respectively to get your regulated +/-5V output.

A 8 or 9V AC supply is ideal for +/-5V output, but higer voltages can be used although the regulators will run hotter. Component choices depend on input voltage, load current on each output and mains supply frequency, so tell us what AC output supplies you have available (nominal voltage and current + measured output voltage unloaded) and the required output currents so we can help you pick the best one.

If you dont have any AC output adapters, the use of a DC-DC converter module to get a negative rail has already been mentioned. There are a few issues with ripple on the output, and potentially with power supply sequencing so you had better tell us which volume control chip you intend to use.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

[snip]

Is there a program to interpret that script? Hopefully one that runs on Mac, DOSBOX, or the web?

Thanks, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

LTspice IV download from

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Thanks! I'll see if this is in my capability to understand and build, but it looks nice at first glance.

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I see how my original thoughts were flawed.

I also realized I should probably get a better idea of what my amperage will be. I'm guessing

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

I think the TL431 is still readily available. Back when I did more discrete designs it was my favorite reference device... AND it can act like an OpAmp (as in your case). ...Jim Thompson

Looks like I can get some.

Daniel Pitts

Idea:

  • Use a 5V (unregulated) adapter. Regulate to 5V with a 7805.

  • Use a charge pump IC to generate a -5V rail from the regulated +5V rail.

You can get a center-tapped transformer for a couple of dollars, or rip it out of something. You can build your own dual-voltage AC adapter easily with a center tapped transformer and bridge rectifier or discrete diodes. Your device then just has to provide the reservoir capacitors and regulators.

Why not find some discarded old device (e.g. piece of audio gear) which has a dual supply in it already and re-use its power entry and perhaps more. Throw out the circuit board and build your own device in its place.

You can also use two identical AC adapters to get the equivalent of a center-tapped transformer, if you can live with the clunkiness.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

I just scabbed an old DC drive that had a lots of pulse transformers for the SCR's, nice ones too. Also, I got the dual SCR's and full heat sink which like 10x15 inches..

I save parts like this for bench concept theories and home projects, anything else, like at work, we buy new stuff. But saving parts from these large units gives lots of parts you can hang together with jumper wires (fuses) as some one I know referred to them, and experiment.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.