Remote controlled flashlight?

I would like to be able to turn a flashlight on and off with a wireless remote from about 20' away (or so). I figured if I get one of those big plastic flashlights with the 6 volt battery there should be room for whatever electronics are needed, but I don't know how to do it. I realize this sounds like a bit of a strange request, but it's for a theatrical production in which we'd like to be able to turn a flashlight on and off without anyone near it. Any thoughts on either where I could find something like this, or how to make something? It has to be pretty simple for me to able to do it (limited electronics ability and knowledge).

Reply to
Harry

I'll probably get flamed for suggesting such a non-technical solution, but since it's likely going to be a one-off (or short term play I suppose?), I imagine time, cost and simplicity would be an issue also.

Have you considered a string/fishing line and a micro-switch?

If you can afford the space and risk of trippage issues, it's cheap and does the job. Even if you need an elaborate pulley system to go around bends, it'll still be quicker, cheaper and simpler than entirely electronic solutions. Especially since you're a novice and might not afford the build time of something not already available off the shelf.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

The guts from an old garage door opener?

Typing 'keyfob eval' into the Digikey search engine brings up a number of devel/eval kits for keyfobs and receivers, but you may need a bit more experience for these.

Randy Day

Why not just run a pair of small diameter wire? If you go to small and/or to long you will have unacceptable voltage drop and the bulb will be dim. You could add a 1.5 volt battery in series to get it right. You can leave the batteries in the flashlight and break the circuit and connect the wires at the break then short the other end of the wire to light the bulb. Or you can just connect the wires to the bulb and have your batteries and switch wherever it is convenient. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Go to Home Depot and get a wireless doorbell. You should be able to figure it out from there.

Tom

Reply to
TomBbiasi

That's not really going to work. You'll have to keep the string taught, and figure out a method where pulling the string turns it on and pulling it again turns it off.

You're right, though, that there is a simple solution. Just wire in two strands of wire, then bring them to a switch where someone can operate it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

A suitably bent paper clip can be used to hook a taught line. I specifically mentioned a microswitch for the light actuation requirement. Toggle functionality is more or less an option, but probably not a requirement. Since the switch is going to be manned, that's not going to be a problem.

Copper is expensive, fishing line is cheap. :-)

--
Pizza IS the four food groups!
Reply to

For most applications these days, off-the-shelf solutions are typically available if you look just a bit. These days, strolling thru a big-box building supply joint or the hardware/electrical section of a department store makes you think "Now why didn't I think that idea was marketable?"

Have you legally changed your name or did you get a new news client and mistype?

Reply to
JeffM

I was wondering if that would work. I'd like it so that one push of the button will turn the light on and another push will turn it off. Do you think the doorbell would work like that?

Reply to
Harry

The latter. Just made the jump to Win 7 and Live mail. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I don't know, but two solutions, rather than a momentary switch like the wireless doorbell has, use a switch similar to a wall mount light switch. Or wire up a " latching relay " " x " google term. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Have you thought about using a remote control like the type used for model cars and aeroplanes? Talk to a model shop - not cheap but at least reusable, reliable and versatile

Reply to
David Eather

Ahh there you go, Must be a million RC cars laying around. Find one where the control and one servo still work. Take the servo out of car and 'gloum'(sp) it onto flashlight to servo the switch.... If you can pull off the switch plate that controls the motor in the RC, you will just have to connect the wires.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Now what you are asking for is a bi-stable condition. A bi-stable relay would do this.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sounds like a winner (if the antenna can be hidden suitably). I'd prefer a mercury tilt switch to trying to operate the thumb slide.

Reply to
whit3rd

Harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

with a