Subject Author Posted Replies

Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
I remember back in the day some ATX power supplies used to have an additional IEC connector on the back, sort of like this: That was handy. Anyone know why they don't see to do that anymore?
45
45

Touch Sensing (Capacitive, Proximity, others?)
All, I am working on an embedded application where I want the device to turn on (microcontroller wakes up) when the user touches the device with their hand . We want to conserve power and don't want...
17
17

measuring jitter with a Rigol scope
We got some pretty big orders and we figured that we'd need about 1000 hours of production test time to get the stuff out. So I am designing a couple of new test sets and the kids will grind out a...
13
13

200mW lasers for two bucks?
Car tail light "collision warning" lasers. Line-generators, but also floating logos following you down the road. Almost a quarter-watt output?! Gotta be a scam. Many are two bucks, free shipping all...
13
13

Zener diode below-threshold reverse current
I know the theory, more or less. In practice, what's the reverse current through a zener diode at levels well below the breakdown voltage? I've got a circuit where I'm feeding a 12V linear regulator...
269
269

shunts
I've got to remember to add a current-sense shunt to every power rail on every board. Supply current is too often something that I want to know. Low ohm resistors are cheap these days.
15
15

OT: Nice truck!
Maybe next time you roll the Justice Wagon into NYC to "do an extraction", it would make sense to pick a vehicle that's um, a little less conspicuous.
3
3

Autoscan --> motorola LS1203 scanner
Does someone knows how to prevent LS1203 scanner to enter in "sleep mode " ?. I have set auto scan mode to scan continuously, but after some time of inactivity, scanner will enter sleep mode. The...

delta undulator, possible to produce OAM?
Hi, I was reading about "delta undulators" which are related to undulators / free electron lasers etc. They add more rows of magnets and adjust their placement to give variable polarization of the...
1
1

Powerlifting Squat Depth Detection
How do they do this? -- Don Kuenz KB7RPU Flappity, Floppity, Flip! The Mouse on the Mobius Strip. The Strip revolved, The Mouse dissolved In a chronodimensional skip.
2
2

"fetishization of IQ"
This is interesting: Note that I am on record here for telling self-declared smart people that intelligence is not something they can take credit for, and that even dumb people have feelings and have...
119
119

Corsair magnetic levitation fans (maglev fans)
Hello, I find this a very interesting product: It claims that it's fans "levitate". Does this mean it no longer requires any oil and thus no more cleaning because of dust+oil+black smoke stuff...
5
5

OT? Shawyer EM Drive Explained. Again.
There's a new peer-reviewed paper explaining how the so-called EM drive g enerates the (barely, questionably) observed (extremely tiny) thrust: The nub of it is this: "In the thruster?s cavity...
3
3

Voltage divider part 2
I dont know why is this happening but if i trigger my raspberry test pin with 3.3V ( directly from the RSP pin ), impulse is triggered correctly every time, but if i trigger it from my voltage...
11
11

Ping Tim Wescott: YouTube [long]
Hi Tim, I prepare lots of "tutorials" -- text & multimedia encapsulated in a PDF container -- for various subjects/technologies. Typically as a way to explain an algorithm/technology outside the...
8
8