Subject Author Posted Replies

Disappointing Canon Pixma teardown.
I bought this printer and scanner combo to print circuit board masks, but it doesn't do a very good job. I've acquired an Epson printer that works better. Since the Canon printer has has next to no...
1
1

FYI: 0603 Capacitor Kit
I bought this capacitor kit. It comes in a nice box with little vials and at least 30 of each value. (I didn't count them)
1
1

Modern Educayshun
This also applies to the modern work environment. Just love it when they have to take an ICBM offline, mothball a nuclear submarine, or in the case of one bank take a $900M hit due to bad investments...
1
1

Microphone risk factors
"Average" quality -- cost and size being more significant criteria. (Think in terms of cell phones quality/cost/size) What sorts of issues affect reliability, failure modes, etc.? Any advantages to...
19
19

Antenna recommendation
If there is another good group to post, please let me know. I usually do not give recommendations for a product unless it is a superior product. For years I bought numerous TV antennas. They all...
11
11

air-wound inductor Q
I want to make a notch filter at 1 MHz, to pull out a fundamental sine wave and leave the harmonics for THD analysis. The signal levels will be pretty high, maybe 50 mA p-p with some DC bias, so I'd...
81
81

Filter Solutions
Designing LC filters is a huge pain, even if you start with the tables in Williams. The Filter Solutions / Nuhertz software is fabulous. Runtime is zero.
22
22

Trimpot with decent rotational life?
Hi, all, I'm doing a lab special for some folks in the physics department of the University of Oxford. It's an interesting wrinkle on the laser noise canceller, which is going to work with some HgCdTe...
26
26

Possible Low Noise Candidates - Power BJTs
These are weird: Look at that fT! Low-Vce(sat) transistors typically have low Rbb', don't they? AoE3 also mentioned some people testing and selecting MJE15028 with very favorable results. You'll need...
9
9

Problem - how to discharge a capacitor ONLY after the voltage has dropped to around 6VDC.
Interesting problem (at least I think so). We have a situation where a tiny (5VDC @ 5A) switching supply that takes roughly 8 to 15VDC in and converts it to 5VDC out, however the regulator won't boot...
44
44

Question about a clamp meter with a low range
I need a clamp ammeter but it's for very occasional use and I'm trying to decide between a few cheap Chinese products. One has ranges of 2A, 20A & 200A while the others have 20A, 200A and...
25
25

Why Have Medical Insurance?
The current push regarding replacing the ACA is to make those who are sick pay more for insurance than those who are not sick. The details are not clear or will be in flux, but it sure seems to me...
177
177

Fine Line PCBs
Has anyone here had PCBs made with 2/2 mil design rules and 6 mil drills? I'm not sure where to look for a supplier. Would expanding the design rules to 2.5/2.5 make much of a difference?
3
3

SPICE gets it wrong
Speaking of SPICE, here's a nice little circuit: I discovered the oscillator on the left, when attempting to build a Darlington transistor pair with a Baker clamp. (In practice, R10 comes from a logic...
74
74

See CCTV camera view from smart phone
I recently got a CCTV security camera with a DVR. It came with no manual, only a CD. The instructions have many typographical errors. The package says you can see your cameras from a smart phone. The...
10
10