See CCTV camera view from smart phone

I recently got a CCTV security camera with a DVR.

It came with no manual, only a CD.

The instructions have many typographical errors.

The package says you can see your cameras from a smart phone.

The instructions were clear as mud.

Is the right group or is there another that is more appropriate ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Turn on your phone, start the camera application, and point the camera lens (on the phone) at the cctv camera.

Done.

Reply to
Walter

NAh.... these things usually have WiFi connectivity and that's how you get your phone to show you what the CCTV is seeing. Post a make/model number and someone might be able to be a bit more explicit as to how it works.....

TTman

This group is full of people who could help you design such a system, but probably haven't actually worked with one. I'd look for a group with "av" or "security" in the name, and hope that it hasn't been dead for over a decade.

Or Google on your model name and "video to phone".

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Go to the playstore and get this

Install it on your android phone and see if it can find your device.

If that doesn't work, install port droid on the phone and scan your network to see if the camera is there and its IP address. Poke that into your web browser to see if that can see the camera. If not, go back to port droid, scan the camera address and see what ports are open. Go back to the web browser and input the ip address, a colon, and the port address, no spaces.

If none of that works, you have to go figger out how to get the vendor software to configure the camera on your network.

There may be additional setup required for the device itself. That's a function of the vendor.

The android group may be a better place to ask.

Reply to
mike

My experience was: get the DVR connected to the network and do all the setup from a PC web browser - some cheap chinese DVRs use old active-x (I think) software that newer browsers stopped supporting so older version of MS IE may be better than Chrome. Once you have PC browser happiliy working with DVR then install a mobile viewer app on your smartphone and give it the network address you assigned to the DVR. My cheap chinese DVR recommended VMEYE for Android. Plenty of advice on the web and youtube.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

You also typically need to forward a port on your router/firewall to the DVR. The open port enables you to use your phone to view your cams over the Inet.

One of the security camera networks maintained by me is in a motel. There's lots of interesting business going on in that motel 24 hours a day. It's a great place for social studies. Some of the business reminds me of the Jean Hoerni story in _Spinoff_ (Sporck).

Hoerni was a brilliant scientist who later struggled to be an entrepreneur and he wasn't particularly successful at it. He had a personality best described as "difficult." Hoerni himself once told a story about a good position that was offered by Batelle in Switzerland. "They phoned me early in the morning to make the offer, but I didn't answer the phone. I'm not a morning person." To keep Hoerni from being distracted by other employees, Shockley installed him in a motel room, away from the main [Fairchild] laboratory. ... Shockley himself turned up from time to time to discuss progress, but for the most part Hoerni worked in splendid isolation - which was not entirely to his liking. Toward the end of his life, Hoerni told me that he begged Shockley to free him from that motel room and allow him to work in the laboratory.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

Thanks for all the advice from everyone who responded.

Reply to
Andy

Thought of one other item.

How can I delete individual recordings ?

I can see no way other than reformatting the drive.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

GeoVision cards fit into a PC. They use a Windows app that allows you to erase individual recordings.

DVRs are different. They may, or may not, allow you to to delete individual recordings. Before you format a drive out of a DVR, you need to know what OS it uses. Windows and Unix formats are different. You also need to be sure that you don't inadvertently erase the OS, otherwise you'll be left with a non-functioning DVR. Good luck.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to