Subject Author Posted Replies

Always 30 years off...
Well, they are finally going to make a "Mr. Fusion". Hehehe.. No, really... a compact fusion reactor may be close. So... set up 100 of them on a slab and how many does it take... to match a steam...
10
10

to vacuum or not to vacuum... HEI epoxy potting?
My latest tests on paraffin itself are showing that it may not hold up well if the environmental temperatures vary too widely. On tests of small blocks, I have ended up with two cracked ones after...
45
45

high-voltage transformer
My 1:1 high-voltage transformer is coming along well. This is to make 5V, 12V, or whatever at high voltages. I'll be using it at 6kV, but it's passing tests at 9kV, and I'll do a weekend at 11kV...
10
10

Need some help, what is percentage US voltages on 115V, 208V WYE, 240V?
Hi I am working on a US variant on a small pump (below 75W) But, I am unable to find the percentage of distribution of different US mains voltage My guess is that most is 115V, but I have also heard...
156
156

How to compute base biasing resistor for class C amplifier
Could some electronics guru here please tell me how to compute the base biasing resistor for class C amplifier. From the Vce-Ice- load line graph, the Q point has to be below the horizomtal axis,...
9
9

OT: Making bigger wind-turbines 5.6MW now, 12MW soon.
IEEE Spectrum published this piece recently Individual wind turbines go up to 5.6MW at the moment, should hit 10MW shortly, and 12MW isn't much further away. The article contemplates what a 100MW wind...
82
82

Generic Drugs, There's A Reason They're So Cheap
Drugs are nothing if not properly manufactured, and that includes lots and lots of in-process testing. At the Cleveland Clinic, as ?Bottle of Lies? chronicles, he art transplant patients whose...
17
17

RGB LED
This seems to be a multi-vendor common footprint for RGB LEDs, a PLCC6 package. It's nice in that the diode connections are independent, so one can use any handy drive circuit. The blues generally...
31
31

Sinc weirdness
I just came across a weird fact involving sinc functions, which everyone here will have seen and used at one time or another. They're used all the time in signal processing mathematics. We all know...
19
19

Mechanical Relays
Gentlemen, I have acquired, over the years, a great many mechanical relays (I think it's the same word in both US and British English). They are bulky, heavy and I don't find myself using them much...
40
40

Time track with Rigol DSO
I have a Rigol DS1102E. I know that some DSO have a "time track" feature that allow you to demodulate and plot the RMS value of a PWM signal with respect to time on a cycle-by-cycle basis for e.g....
25
25

I'll be darned if I can figure out why I did this!
As those who have been following know, I recently rehoused and repotted my HV sparking demo device successfully. However, wanting to retry wax potting once again also, I picked up a pair of HEI coils...

FYI: Scamming the scammers - 9900mAhuh?
There are plenty of 9900mAhuh 18650 batteries around. A huh is around 3 min utes in China. 9900mAhuh is equivalent to 500mAh in the rest of the world. If you inform the seller about the misprint...
17
17

cholesterol
This is arguably off-topic here, except that it once again illustrates the repeated collective wrongness of experts who operate by professional concensus. Dump those statins! More ice cream and...
100
100

Best way to reject 50Hz or 60Hz mains with ADS1118
The device offers the following sampling rates on the delta-sigma ADC: 8 16 32 64 128 250 475 860 The 16/sec conversion rate would alone reject 60Hz fairly accurately, but there is no similar option...
11
11