Zener diodes in TO220 or similar?

Have you looked at TVS diodes?

Reply to
Jamie

So mount it underneath the TO-220 lead bend.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

NTE is expensive and often single source. Plus the thing is still over

30mm long:

So same as with the DO-5, we'd have to machine that down.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And put an innocent looking dab of lacquer on it :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was actually serious...something like a BZT52H-C68 68V Zener should fit under there, nicely surface mounted, waiting for the TO-220 to be hand-soldered into its through-hole mounting. Just using through holes instead of SMT pads should save enough real estate for that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal ElectroOptical Innovations

55 Orchard Rd Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net
Phil Hobbs

Well, it's going to have to live in a remote location, off the board, bolted to the chassis in a super-tight spot (to be able to heatsink), leads clipped to the minimum and so on.

Took a look at your house on sat view. Looks like you've got a black sedan and a white SUV :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, machining a semiconductor package down as you suggest is a FAR more risky move reliability-wise.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Used to. A family member got the pedals mixed up and drove the SUV into the corner of the house in January. We now have two sedans.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's why I don't even want to suggest it. With a zener it might be ok but I'd rather not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'm talking about using both sides of your board real estate for the small stuff. If you're soldering TO262 or TO220AC bodies, presumably in a wave soldering their through-hole leads (TO252 DPAK has smd leads for reflow), the wave-side real estate could harbour resistors, zener, caps and other 'smd' parts that are processed in the same wave operation.

RL

Reply to
legg

Those kinds of designs usually have only very tiny stuff on the circuit board. TSSOP, MSOP, 0402 or smaller, SC-75, but tons of it. All the heavy parts such as TO-220 are off the board because they must be bolted to a chassis.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, a lot longer than that. They were still called that long after they changed color and became twisted pair. ;-)

Reply to
krw

At a client in Arizona they announced the imminent arrival of the lunch van this way" "Attention, roach coach will be here in five minutes".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, limitations for wave-side smd include both upper (body thermoplastic thickness) and lower (lead spacing) limits.

I understood that bolting to220s to metal was anticipated here.

Ideally, the aim is to avoid process steps by selecting smd parts that can all be included in the single wave operation, however in higher density work, a 'component-side' smd reflow, or dropping of wave altogether (double-sided reflow only) is finally enforced. TSSOP and

0402 are impractical to adhere and wave - are usually restricted to reflow only.

You claim a real estate problem in higher density mixed circuitry with power components. Just pointing out options here.

RL

RL

Reply to
legg

I just got a couple of bags of phenolic terminal strips, the kind that old TV sets used. They are great for breadboarding. They are getting hard to find these days.

John

This

starts with a laser in a big sugar-cube ST-connectorized housing. Then we turn it down...

John

In Arizona, that's standard nomenclature for such vans ;-)

...Jim Thompson

For sauerkraut-wiring? Cool! I am down to about 2-3. You can be lucky if you find NOS of this stuff and the silver on the dual solder-lugs isn't completely black.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I can't remember any of my designs ever being wave-soldered. I usually discourage clients and recommend reflow. We did that even in the 80's although back then most others thought it was voodoo. When setting temperature profiles you were pretty much on your own. Well, except maybe for Jose Cuervo :-)

Thanks. Yes, that's my problem, real estate. So it'll all be the most tiny parts I can find. And my eyes ain't getting better with age :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have a baggie of nice and small ones, like 0.25" pitch or something like that. They're great for high density stuff.

Not the greatest up-close, but you can get some idea from the resistors going into them. Made this class D tube amplifier a snap, plenty of pins available.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams