fast ADC

The good news is that Hittite has announced a 28 G sample/second ADC.

The bad news is that it's 3 bits.

John

Yeah, but: Depending on performance you may be able to stagger or play tricks like using a 2nd ADC for "in between" quantization steps of the first. Done it a few times, can be tough to get an auto-cal going but we got things like that into series production (at much lower frequencies but higher bit numbers).

Is there a datasheet out?

Other question is who's going to catch all that data flying out of it. Must be like having to bat 2000 baseballs per second. And of course then there is the price.

Is there a clunker program for ADCs where I could give Hittite some old RCA converters and get a $4500 discount?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, a rep sent me a PowerPoint thing.

The data is demux'd, probably.

They also have a 10 Gs/s part at 6 bits, which is starting to sound useful. It demuxes into eight LVDS streams at 1.25 gs/s each. Still a handfull!

Also 8 bits at 6G. All new stuff.

Yeah, their pricing is insane. They have some fast flipflops for, like, $200 each; similar OnSemis are more like $35.

John

Sounds like the last digitizing scope I bought. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Which one did you buy? Some of them are truly skimpy, others have incredible noise. My cheapo scope beat a Tek once by about half of its noise.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It was a TDS7704A, iirc. 20 Gs/s, 7 GHz vertical BW. Come to think of it, that was the second-to-last one...I had to leave it at IBM, of course, but then I bought a second-hand TDS744 for home. Nice scope. One of the good things about being out on my own is that I can deduct my toys on my income tax.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Those are nice scopes. We'll have to get or probably rent something like that at a client this summer. Do they have more where yours came from? Do you know what they roughly go for these days? Ebay doesn't have any right now and the used dealers never show prices, got to haggle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I got it as a refurb from Tek in 2006, at about a $15k discount:

1 TDS7704B 7GHZ DIGITAL PHOSPHOR OSCILLOSCOPE, CERTIFICATE OF TRACEABLE CALIBRATION STANDARD 62,900.00 TEKSELECT REFURBISHED DISCOUNT -15,725.00 1 TDS7704B R3 REPAIR SERVICE 3 YEARS 1,940.00 TEKSELECT REFURBISHED DISCOUNT -485.00

Amusingly they discounted the repair service as well!

I liked it better than the equivalent Agilents at the time, and it was better than the Tek follow-on too--that one had some really gross overshoot like 7%. It was a very sad experience, having to explain to some factory folks from _*Tektronix*_, for heaven's sake, that a scope lives and dies by its step response. How are the mighty fallen.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How about building a multi-bits SD ADC with that? :-)

Just saw this :

and

Thanks,
Fred.
Reply to
Fred Bartoli

Ouch, ouch, that is steep, even with the discount. Yikes.

But Tektronix stands by their stuff. Not that many companies do these days.

After I had my first encounter with a TSD220 at a great I developed some serious doubts over where that company was heading. And then when I needed a 200MHz 4-ch I opted for a Taiwanese scope. It was cheaper and better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Wow! Yes, that sure would do it. I don't want to know what those cost though ... but with ever faster graphics modules prices would probably come down soon.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Mmm.. 7 comparators.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

An Abacus?

Reply to
Jamie

But sync'ing those reliably at 28GHz is no small feat.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's still 2 bits better than Sloman.

Michael A. Terrell

You too seem to trip a bit too easily. Boring...

--
Thanks,
Fred.