XR 2206 Question

I'm using a XR2206 as a low freq. sine/triangle/squarewave generator. The frequency is 20hz to 200hz, the sine and square waves are fine. The triangle has flat tops and bottoms about equal in time to the rise and fall times. I don't think this is normal, what could be the problem?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

Good sines can only come from a good triangle, so the chip must be working OK. Fault must be due to loading on the triangle pin. john

john jardine

I had no load (only X10 scope probe) on the output, so I tried a 1K load, it only reduced the output by about half, it didn't improve the waveform. Mike

Reply to
amdx

problem?

working

Looks like the chip's knackered :( john

john jardine

I have a second chip, I tried that one and have the same poor signal. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Mike,

I've never seen a 2206 do that. Are you powering the 2206 with a split or a single ended supply? Also, a schematic it would be useful for us in trying to help you.

--
James T. White
Reply to

What value have you got for R3 (resistor connected to pin3 on the chip)?. The triangle has typically 2.5* the p-p voltage of the sine output, and you need to reduce R3, so it does not swing beyond 6vp-p, or it'll clip as you are seeing.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

I'm using a 50k fixed resistor to pin 3, this runs from the voltage divider that provides 1/2 vcc to the 50k resistor. I'm using 12v for the vcc and the triangle is 7.5vpp the sine is 5.9vpp. I see the spec sheet says I should have 3vpp sine with the 50k resistor and that would mean about 8vpp for the triangle.

I'm using the circuit on page 8. C=.47uf and R=100k pot. The voltage divider voltage is dead on 1/2vcc, I'll put a variable resistor in place of the 50k and see how that affects the triangle. The amplitude ratio is off between the sine and triangle "hmm". I hope to get some more time this evening to look at it. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

I should put a load on the output. What is a proper load resistance? That would probably bring my sine output to the proper level! Mike Mike

Reply to
amdx

The specified maximum output swing for the triangle wave, is 6v...

That resistor value is too high. Look at figure 3 in the data sheet. Notice that the triangle wave amplitude goes off the top of the graph at about 44K. You need to be below 40K for the triangle to reliably not clip.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Yes, I installed a variable resistor as R3 and started reducing the value, the triangle didn't look good until I hit 17k. This value limits my sine output to 2vpp, a little less than I wanted, but I can work with it. Thanks Mike

Reply to
amdx