Linear Freq Ctrl for XR2206

Could anyone please post a circuit here that will provide a linear adjustment curve for the frequency control pot on an XR2206 function generator IC?

I recall seeing one but can't find it anywhere now.

Thank you,

Dennis Kent

Reply to
Dennis Kent

Dennis, since the current out of Pin7 resp Pin8 is linear with frequency you could use a current sink instead of a resistor. f(Hz)=320*It(mA)/C(uF) The range can be from 1uA to 3mA. The compliance is around 3V. The current sink can be made with an opamp with a 1k sensing resistor driven by a pot from a 2.5V reference for example. If you use a logarithmic pot, you can get a respective curve.

2.5V pin7 o o | | .-. |\ ||-+ | |
Reply to
Ban

This is very helpful. Excuse me for being dense, but what does the symbol below pin 7 represent.

Thanks,

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Kent

Looks like an N-channel enhancement mode MOSFET. But I think an NPN bipolar would work OK too.

Reply to
Bitrex

It is a small N-Mosfet like VN1310N3 or BSS100, also a bipolar will work, but might need compensation to not oscillate. The Gate is left, the Drain goes to 7 and the Source to the resistor. The current is Vin/1k, so 2.5V will give you 2.5mA and 0.001V will result in 1uA. So a precision opamp should be chosen like TLC2201 if you need the full range.

Reply to
Ban