Xilinx Coolrunner II CPLD power-down input characteristics?

Hi, all:-

A bit of a long shot here, but does anyone know whether the inputs will float on the Xilinx CPLD parts will float when power is not applied or do they have a nasty protection structure to a supply pin?

And if so, what if I float the related Vccio pin-- will that allow the input current to be reduced to just leakage current?

I don't see any info in what appears to be the relevant document:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Some more words are said in the datasheet ds090.pdf, page 11, Power-Up Characteristics

For the protection structure, perhaps check with an ohmmeter/conduction tester on an unpowered board...

Uwe Bonnes

Thanks.

I would in a NY minute, if I had one..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can't say for sure about the 3.3V version of the Coolrunner but I do know that there was no diode to the Vdd rail on the 5V parts. They seemed to have zener/thick-oxide like protection. The input didn't hit a hard limit as it passed Vcc+0.7 as a diode would. This doesn't mean your idea will work however. The input leakage current may rise quite a bit before the hard limit is hit.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith