Writing to many USB Drives

Joel Kolstad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Personally i like ClamAV. It is not the fastest, but detects more / better than Norton or McAfee and it is open source.

Reply to
JosephKK

I haven't looked at anything but AVG for the last two years. It cleaned up drives that nothing else would, and is free so I use it on the computers I give away.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Anything special you need to know about AVG - or is it just a case of download it & follow directions? PCWORLD recommends it, AIRC.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

options

Just download and install.

It also can be set to scan your email for virii.

I burn a copy to a CD rom after every major update, so i can run it on a computer that won't connect to the net. The only drawback is that it no longer runs under win 95. AVAST

is supposed to, but Win 98SE is the oldest OS I support. I found a small local daycare center that wants a bunch of Win 95 machines for their old educational software. Guess where those old Packard Bell computers and monitors are going? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Windows PCs, after encountering a virus that disabled my virus scanner program, I started doing the occasional double-check by running the free online virus scanner at [

].

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

options

Thanks!

And regarding giving the computers to the daycare center: *Nice* !! :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Most of these have expired McAfee or Norton AV, so if I can't install from the CDROM drive, I pull the drive and slip it into an external USB case to clean it up. A lot of them have no modem or network card, so its easier to rip the drive out and clean it up.

The spell checker wants to change 'Macon' to 'Maroon'.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're welcome.

Any reasonable way to keep them out of the landfill. :) The Packard Bell computers are proprietary, and not upgradable, so they might as well wring the rest of the life out of them. They also like the heavy keyboards, and two button mice that no one else likes.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida