Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

Yes, but the reason they put it in diesels is that diesels actually are more efficient than steam turbines

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Coal mines and oil wells kill people not animals. Wind turbines kill both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Total myth

Domestic cats may carry 2.4 million dead birds into the house as gifts. Bit no vcat can catch a bird that is able to fly., In realty the annul death toll of hatchlings *has* to be around 90% for small birds, or we would be treading on them. People in towns never find the dead ones until, cats bring them in. Out here since I have got rid of the cats there are dead birds everywhere...or piles of feathers.

Windmills account for

But what windmills kill are protected raptors and bats, because they generate updraughts and shock pressure waves.

And people. Never parachute into a wind farm.

Depends on what its treadmill is attached to

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In there any need for wind turbines? Of course not. Cats at least are company. And kill mice. Wind farms simply rob you blind and destabilise the grid, make houses unsaleable, keep people awake at night , obscure radar tracking stations, and will leave pollution in the form of concrete bases behind for thousands of years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You can imagine my surprise. I found a bird in a quiet country road that led nowhere, where I lived., It had a ring on,. with a number to call. I called it. The woman at the other end kept asking me if a cat had killed it, or if it had been hit by a car, She refused to believe that it was undamaged, just dead.

That was wild. I had tow cats, great hunters and killers, but not of birds. Mice, yes. Water rats, yes. Those were just starters. Main meals would be bunnies. Or rats. I even saw the older want duelling with a weasel for ages., He got it. I strapped the corpse to my Irish neighbours radio aerial. It was weeks befre he noticed. Bit short sighted. But a lovely man.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well all that happens if you feed birds is you get more birds, and then they all die of something other than starvation.

Its been a tough winter. almost all the wrens will be dead. But the few that will be left will have huge clutches.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm aware of that - very much like free postage the cost of which is built into the selling price in the first place.

Reply to
alan_m

Steam plants on ships were amazingly complex. They had feed pumps, preheaters, fuel pumps, blowers, burners, flame detectors, water-wall boilers, superheaters, economizers, condensers, multi-stage throttle valves, reverse steam valves, safety valves, HP and LP turbines with million-dollar reduction gears, steam powered generators, all kinds of plumbing. More that I probably can't remember. A steamship had a small chemistry lab that was used to regularly test the water used in the boilers.

I used to design throttle and boiler control systems for ships, and they were complex and expensive too.

All that stuff was hard to maintain.

Our local district heating company just installed an electrically heated boiler to heat water, when the electric prices drops towards zero due to wind overproduction. The claim is that by doing so, 16,000 tons of emissions are reduced.

They are simply stupid, if they don't.

It is in the wind farm company best interest to avoid electric prices falling to zero or negative. The wind farm company should try to 'invent' ways that their customers could use this overproduction in some way and get at least a cent or two instead of zero. .

Reply to
upsidedown

"No cat can catch a bird that is able to fly"?!?

A flat declaration which is completely false, and most people who know much about cats will know that.

You don't do yourself any favours.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

They won't, anywhere.

Just because some fool claims something...

No chance of that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There is some evidence that pet owners do better health wise.

Whether that is caused by having pets isn't clear.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I should have read further.

Under the skin? Do you mean throught the needle? ROTFLOL.

They don't make tracking devices that small. Don't believe what the crackpots tell you.

Reply to
micky

Pet identfication chips (passive integrated transponders) are a bit less than 2mm in diameter, a 12 gauge hypodermic needle has a slightly larger ID. The "chjps" are about

11mm long (1/2").

Scott Lurndal

30% of a BBL of crude is used as chemical feedstocks and binders for aggregate (asphalt/macadam). Those, leaving aside any potential to contaminate soil or water, do not contribute to the CO2 in the atmosphere. It's the other 70% of the crude, refined into fuels, that when burned add CO2 to the atmosphere.

Using the limited remaining reserves of crude for the former instead of burning it up will allow the CO2 fraction in the atmosphere to start dropping and still provide the chemical feedstocks we need to feed 8 billion humans. Win-Win. Even the oil companies will still be profitable.

To be carbon neutral doesn't necessarily mean that the world cannot use oil; just not burn more than the natural carbon cycle can remove on short timescales (e.g annually). Likewise coal. Eventually, of course, both resources will be exhausted - there's no reason not to start the process of weaning off them now, and rapidly.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Grid management predicts loads and they have steam up and turbines spinning before the large increase in demand, with increased output from already producing station, pumped storage, gas turbine, diesel, etc. to fill rapid increases until other producers can be brought online.

Reply to
SteveW

I think that he is being sarcastic.

Reply to
SteveW

They also have fast startup load following plants ready and waiting.

Hydro is particularly attractive as a load-following plant as you just basically turn a valve and it starts generating.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They should be required to provide the storage systems needed to compensate for their intermittency. At the moment, they get a free ride by being able to sell power when they can produce it, and not when they can't.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else