Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

In the long term, nutrition and education and sensible government reduce birth rates, and the planet is now suffering from over-population. So, paradoxically to some, giving poor people more resources will in the long term conserve resources.

I was thinking about "Residual fuel oil" like Bunker C, not coal. It has to be heated to make it liquid enough to pump, and it's full of sulfur and stuff.

yeh, heated to ~90'C on the ship, since 2020 the maximum allowed sulphur content in a ships fuel is 0.5% and in certain areas, close to the coast, and in harbor it is <0.10%

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

This year you get paid for not using power.

This winter I've been paid around £9 for not using electricity at certain times. :) This is not when prices go negative but when the wind has stopped blowing, at peak usage times and when the grid is in danger of running out of electricity. Oh, and when it's dark and for some strange reason solar is producing nothing. One of the benefits of UK starting to rely on intermittent green power.

This scheme asks you to reduce consumption for maybe an hour at a designated time of day. You have to be on a smart meter where your meter data is updated on a 30 minute basis. They compare your usage for this designated hour with your average usage at the same time of day for the previous 10 days.

Reply to
alan_m

Ok

Reply to
Ricky

Well yes, but getting paid to use electricity is a thing if you’re on Octopus Agile. This is completely separate from the use reduction reward scheme.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They certainly could. Some are basicall synchronous machines which is why they spin at one speed, unless they are off and braked.

I have a picture somewhere of the video production screen of a wind farm in Oregon when I was visiting. The wind turbines (500 kW each) had individual statistics information and a lot of them were producing power, some were stopped and some were drawing energy (fans). I just assumed that these power sucking turbines were just waiting for wind to pass but I don't really know why. The power they were drawing was somewhere between 35 kW and 50 kW as I remember.

boB

Reply to
boB

Germany has paid domestic users to use power on occasion.

Reply to
SteveW

Wind farms will consume power from the grid (when there is insufficient wind) to:

1) Prevent ice from forming on the blades (where/when freezing is possible). 2) Power the mechanism that turns the head of the windmill into the direction of the winds (when less than or greater than the operating speed of the generator).
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's a tariff that can also cost a lot more than the national capped rate.

Reply to
alan_m

and most importantly, 3) Correct the grid power-factor.

Scott Lurndal

3) Kill birds

The problem there is that it's not economic to have the equipment required to do that standing around unused waiting for the occasions when power is available.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Would be nice to see how many birds are killed versus wildlife (and people) in digging coal mining and oil wells.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Domestic cats kill 2.4 billion birds annually. Windmills account for

1 in 4000 of the annual total, maybe half a million max.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Flaherty became famous after filming 'Nanook of the North'. In later years he filmed 'Louisiana Story' about oil exploration in the bayous. The local people and wildlife loved the oil rig. (Standard Oil paid for the film)

rbowman

And the only electricity you can get from a cat is the static type.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I use the Verizon wireless which works well except in heavy fog. Most of the neighbors have dishes although I think most are for TVs. A bay would be nice; we have these things called mountains. My former ISP had a antenna on a local mountain but not one in my quasi line of sight.

Reply to
rbowman

This is a silly conversation, based on the musings of someone who should know better, but seldom does.

The grid has had to deliver power to fluctuating loads for many, many years. They have had methods to deal with this since long before wind turbines were common. Larkin is a famous troll, saying anything he things will get various responses. He lives for this.

Sometimes this group is pretty sad.

Reply to
Ricky

To make that a fair comparison you have to use the figures for kills per cat and kills per windmill.

Reply to
alan_m