Wind turbines used to absorb a power surplus?

should coalfired powerplants provide backup in case they are down for service?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Either number is much bigger than the needles used for vaccinations.

Those are id chips and only work if you're standing right next to the machine that reads them. They don't do tracking. Alan is repeating nonsense. Don't encourage him.

Reply to
micky

Their outages are either scheduled, or random, and there is enough non-intermittent capacity in the system to handle it. They don't have systematic shortfalls of production over huge areas and, in the case of solar, predictable daily outages.

Solar and wind only get away with their intermittency because of the structure of the market. No individual in their right mind would contract with one entity to deliver power when the entity was able, and then have to contract with another entity to deliver power when then first entity cannot, because the result would have a higher cost than contracting with one entity to provide power all the time.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Nope, falls over on vodka. Have a look at Yeltsin videos.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, he was being sarcastic.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not the whole story. When they are producing power they are lot cheaper than any other alternative source, and even when you have figured in the cost of back-up storage and the over-capacity required to keep it charged they are still the cheapest option, which is why the Australian utility companies won't invest in anything else.

The utility companies are single entities who set up the in-house infrastructure required to let them deliver power all the time from intermittent sources.

It is a soluble technical problem. The fact that we are in transition to getting all our electricity that way isn't any kind of argument that we can't get there.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I feed the birds and I also feed some cats of uncertain status. At times that devolves to feeding birds to the cats. I did rig a pulley system for the feeder after noting how far a fat cat can leap from the ground when motivated.

I should try Fritos. Black oil sunflower seeds make a hell of a mess. The cats get Meow Mix and I think the jays help themselves to that too.

Reply to
rbowman

A rabbit doesn't have much of a life expectancy here. Raccoons however... I was blaming the deer for destroying the bird feeder until I saw the coon tracks in the fresh snow one morning. The skunks sort of hibernate but without a doubt they'll be up and about soon to add to the mix.

Reply to
rbowman

That was the upstate NY dynamic. The paper would run photos of deer yarded up in the deep snow and starving so someone would organize a hay airlift. Next year, more deer yarded up and starving.

The same dynamic happens with human populations.

Reply to
rbowman

I've seen the film but missed the rom-com part I guess. Too focused on the birds to observe the humans.

Reply to
rbowman

I've watched a cat kill an unwary robin. Early bird got the worm, cat got the early bird. Shit happens.

I used to see flickers but I haven't seen them lately. While they are technically woodpeckers they prefer to feed on the ground. I don't know if the cats got them or if they moved to a cat free environment.

They provided me with hours of amusement. They're the klutzes of the bird family and the only bird I've seen that can fall out of a tree.

Reply to
rbowman

Not true; all atmospheric sources are vulcanism, and the billions of years of CO2 emissions reached a steady state when the output is matched by weathering of rock (creating carbonate minerals). CO2 in the right kind of rock strata gets chemically absorbed. There's major projects underway now (in Iceland) to implement this with technology instead of geological time.

Reply to
whit3rd

My neighbours cat ambushes birds coming to a bird feeder. As the birds fly in to perch it pounces jumping three feet in the air and catches them still in flight.

Pigeons feed on the ground under bird feeders and seem easy prey for cats although once the area is covered in feathers they become very wary about landing for a few days. This shows why the old country practice of protecting crops worked - killing crows and leaving the corpses in the field. Probably not too effective these days where kites and buzzards are no longer exterminated and have been re-introduced to areas. These birds will very quickly spot the dead crow and eat it.

Reply to
alan_m

Do you have a telephone?

Here in the UK BT (who came from the Post Office, which had a state monopoly) are gradually replacing copper with fibre because it is more reliable.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Please don't say things like that. There are people out there who will believe you.

Just as they believe we can have 100% of our power coming from wind.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That was my assumption. However...

On 19/03/2023 14:09, micky wrote: > Pointing things out doesn't work here. 🙁

would suggest not everyone agrees.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Why do you think they are installing those 5G masts on every street corner?

There is also the under pavement 100G fibre networks being installed throughout the country with the machine readers every 10 metres for better tracking resolution :)

Reply to
alan_m

5G has a shorter range than 4G so the cells are smaller.

You need more masts - and in your case - a double layer of tin foil in your hat.

People do seem to use up all the bandwidth they can get. Mostly for swapping idiot misinformation with half-wits like you. It takes time to put together reliable information, but the average idiot seems to be able to dream up a pretty much infinite amount of nonsense in a very short time.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I invented the concept of connecting a motor to a generator and making free power. I think I was about 7 years old.

Youtube is full of similar schemes.

If the goal is to waste excess power, pumped hydro will work fine.