Wind/Solar Electrics ???

You might start with a small bank of golf cart batteries from Sam's Club, and a refurbished inverter/charger from here

A Trace SW would be best, but you'd probably be happy with a DR. Use a Honda EU2000 for a charger to get started and as a backup later on. Add PV as your budget allows. Excellent info on home built wind turbines here
There's no problem paralleling solar and wind charge controllers. Include a proper system monitor like an E-Meter or TriMetric.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Our cottage is off grid 400W worth of solar panels provide florescent lighting plus enough left over to run a tv -satellite dish for an hour or more off the inverter. storage is 8 12v deep cycle batteries. To run power tools or the wringer washer I fire up the 2000w honda.

Reply to
Drew Dalgleish

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

To paraphrase a classic George Carlin routine- "I'll tell you what 'modified sine wave' means-- no f*cking sine waves".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

No. GG is the ignorant one again. MSW is professional EE talk.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I'd rather call it professional sales talk. It's not a modified sine wave, it's a modified square wave to approximate a sine wave, and in many cases, sufficiently close enough. We run our whole house on a MSW unit. Trace's DR series inverters were MSW.

nope, just normal sales folk. unfortunately, it became an industry term.

--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org

No doubt you are correct....

But a "modified sine wave" inverter is a way for someone to tell you that you are buying a device which doesn't put out a proper sine wave... rather one which consists of an approximate sinusoidal curve made up from square bits...

So it's not a modified sine wave, but rather a near sine wave with lots of edges... Inferior in every way (but price) to a real sine wave inverter...

Al...

Reply to
Alan Adrian

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I would label the boxes with a nice star shaped sticker "powerful harmonic sine waves".

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

ha, youre a natural :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Small point.

Why would anybody modify a sine wave?

When people try to sell a "Modified Sine wave" inverter they are either ignorant or shysters.

Reply to
George Ghio

No, what is being marketed is a "Modified Square Wave" inverter.

The ignorant can be forgiven.

The shyster wants you to believe that you are buying a better inverter than it really is.

Buyer beware.

Alan Adrian wrote:

Reply to
George Ghio

Hi Nick

MSW is a shysters sales pitch which misrepresents the product.

Sort of like some> Alan Adrian wrote:

Reply to
George Ghio

I have nothing against the modified sq. wave inverters.

Misrepresenting a product is lying.

Nope, shysters or ignorant. The ignorant don't know any better and the shyster is a lier and a thief. No point doing business with either of them. "Modified Sq. Wave" is just that. Sine Wave is not stepped.

Both types of inverter have uses and can provide good service. But a lie is a lie.

Reply to
George Ghio

Using industry-accepted terminology to describe a product does not constitute lying.

No point in doing business with the ignorant? Sounds like a good idea considering the following Ghioism....

You might correct your error by listing some popular "sine" wave inverters, and the number of steps in their "not stepped" waveforms.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

A chirped-frequency, nanosecond-wide, random-amplitude pulse train is a modified sine wave.

John

although I find myself in agreement with george (very scary, especially after his recent voltage driven LED faux pas) that the moniker "Modified Sine Wave" is a misleading term, and should be changed to "Modified Square Wave" in order to more accurately reflect the technology, you seemed to have gotten under his skin a bit. Congrats.

--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Contributing Editor, http://www.off-grid.net
http://www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html
Reply to
Steve Spence

Plonk!

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It was never a "lie" except in your ignorant vernacular. And for an industry in "deep shit" it seems to be doing rather well overall.

Another unsupported claim by Mr. Hole Digger. But at least you've admitted in weasel-speak that some "sine" wave inverters *do* have stepped waveforms. Would you say that they're manufactured and sold by liars?

I take that to mean that you won't be providing any examples of sine wave inverters with stepless waveforms. What a shocker.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

If only he'd stopped at making that point. But Judge Ghio had to pontificate about liars, ignorance, and shysters. He just never knows when to shut up. Anyway, the term is unlikely to ever be changed, and it's a pretty minor issue IMO.

It's sooooo easy, since he *always* defends his mistakes with more mistakes. The topper was "never wrong mate". Now *that's* funny. Apparently the weasel definition of "never" is "most of the time".

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk