Wideband FFT analyzers? SDR?

No ready? What were we shipping 11 years ago? The desired microwave band was down converted to 50-90 MHz. Then it digitized everything in that 40 MHz. Software defined the center frequency, IF bandwidth, video or audio bandwidth and type of demodulation, all done in the digital domain. Of course, cheapskates tended to drop dead when they saw that US $80,000 price tag. It was available as a singe channel (DR2000), or a digital dual receiver diversity design (RCB2000). They were designed late in 1998.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sure. We shipped ultrasound machines in the 90's that digitized a 200MHz swath of spectrum. And yeah, those also cost in that range.

SDR is not ready for a simple reason. I can do the same thing for under a hundred bucks in hardware. BTDT. Now if SDR could do it a lot better or cheaper I'd be all for it. But it can't (yet).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How many million units per year to get that $100 price? What features do you have to do without because it's all analog, or low grade digital?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

About 0.005 million :-)

Seriously, I don't do this for the first time.

On this one? None. Goes into a PC and there you do anything you want. With or without SDR. A spectrum is a spectrum is a spectrum. It does not matter how you acquire it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Jeorg,

You can do that with optics. A Bragg receiver running into a linear CCD. Very simple to build. I have good relations with a company that makes the wideband cells.

Send me a private email at (decode NATO standard phonetics) oscar sierra romeo @ oscar hotel india oscar dot net.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts