Why do CPUs use less electricity than GPUs?

they do and have for years. Here's a current one, hope you have some cash

Cydrome Leader

Now show me one from years ago. Where "years ago" is a similar timeframe to when graphics cards got that powerful.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Funny how it's still advertised here:

And oh look Nvidea are using 7nm too:

Commander Kinsey

What on earth did you mean? You talk about "massive video cards" then refer to the required CPU.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You continue to make no sense at all. Millions run those applications, some on a little smartphone, some (like a guy I know who works for NASA) with SEVEN graphics cards, watercooled, stacked onto one motherboard. It's cooled by a radiator. A central heating radiator. Why would a 3rd worlder spend money running those programs?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

as many cores that have 250W TDP like graphics cards?

I remember back in the day AMD was trying to compete with Intel and develop ed a chip that used so much electricity it had a small gasoline generator b uilt in. It worked pretty well, but the users kept complaining about the e missions and it didn't meet the CAFE requirements.

Go figure, wussies!

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Are you sure these are used as graphic cards to drive some display unit ?

At least some (radio)astronomers use GPU cards (without video interface) as massively parallel processors. Unfortunately the GPU instruction set is not well suited for scientific calculations, so the GPU programming is quite awkward.

Reply to
upsidedown

When a big powerful CPU is idling it isn't power hungry. TDP is a maximum measurement.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You have a link to the ark site. enter your data for whatever graphic cards getting powerful means and find your answer.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

More transistors & bigger transister nanometers.

GPUs can have more transistors and perhaps bigger ones.

Also perhaps more chips ! =D

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
skybuck2000

So a 64 core AMD is actually 8 8 core CPUs?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They don't and I never said they did.

Radio is old hat, gamma and gravity wave are used nowadays.

I do. They have a video interface, you just don't have to connect a monitor to them all.

It's very well suited for astrophysics calculations. Biologists have managed too.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, I have an enormous amount of processors to sift through.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey