Which anti-virus is everyone using

I'm up on AVG 2012 - it's pretty decent. I had gone away from it with Microsoft Security Essentials for a bit but it didn't offer quite enough in my opionion.

I do see some bloat happening with AVG though.

That is not a very bright statement. NO virus requires cycling offline and back on to be active.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Idiot. If you go online with dial-up, the virus doesn't need to call out, because you already have.

You could be a little more stupid, but not today.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Ok, as an experiment I went and uninstalled AVG and installed MSE. So far, things are running quite a bit faster. Now have to do this on my wife's computer...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Personally, I don't use a real time virus scanner. For other folks computers, I've been using M$ Security Essentials. It's not the best, but not a hog like some of the other programs out there. Plus, it's free. The best thing, it stays quiet, unlike some programs that are chatty.

I always keep an up to date version of Malwarebytes on computers. It's an on-demand scanner. I've used this program to disinfect a few systems which were hopelessly hosed. This is one of the better programs for disinfection.

Know about Kaspersky TDSSKiller. If you get a rootkit virus, this works well to root out those pesky kits. It's a free download from Kaspersky.

Reply to
qrk

Linux works for me!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Last time I evaluated this (2 yrs ago) for our home Windows PC's, AVG stood out as the best. We use the free version, for home use. Norton was much more resource hungry and interfered with lots of operations. McAffee was VERY resource hungry.

Reply to
Nemo

At least with AVG the effect is much less noticable than McAfee and Panda :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I went through several AV programs because they were slowing my computer down more than a boatload of viri. I decided to try StopZilla and it's been working very nicely. It's found some malware and eliminated it quickly.

Reply to
krw

You just confirmed that you are the idiot here. You stated that using dial up would prevent viruses, which is totally stupid. Hence you are "Always wrong."

Reply to
miso

They don't. Some sit around for a while and wait for a specific date. In the case of dialup, the virus would wait until an internet connection is detected. That was the whole raison d'etre of Zone Alarm.

Reply to
miso

I dumped AVG free a few months ago because of constant problems when updating. Their only solution was to uninstall & reinstall it. After three times in one week I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Michael A. Terrell

It's free for XP and Vista as well.

Michael A. Terrell

Avira won the CR ratings. Both the free and bought versions. Avira, AVG, Avast, Microsoft, in that order.

Me, I have free comcast nortons, and another cross platform version.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Microsoft Security Essentials, or Avast Free both free, work fine and not as bloated as most others . do occasional scan with Malwarebytes free version and you are good to go anywhere.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Let's not forget Microsoft Security Essentials: the reformed perp is doing community service :)

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

No, just trying to control another software area. Same old, same old.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

Avira is pretty effective ...I've been using the free version for a couple of years. It does show some pop-ups touting the paid upgrade (usually at boot-up), but they aren't too annoying:

Reply to
Sofa Slug

The new version 12 sucks. Pop-ups every hour!

Reply to
JW