What will epoxy NOT stick to?

The wood threads are loose. I guess I could find a larger insert, but this happens to be in the end of a 1" diameter dowel, so there's not much material left to play with.

The problem was that these inserts were (are) used as a part of a coupling system to connect a series of dowel sections together end to end. Occasional disassembly, if the machine threads have become over tightened, results in the wood threads backing out instead. Once this happens a few times, the wood threads become loose and unscrew more and more often, exacerbating the problem.

Heli-coil in wood?

Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Right, That'll work as long as the central threads don't actually fill up. I suppose I could drill out the epoxy, but I'd risk buggering up the brass threads.

If a greased screw can keep most of the epoxy out of the center, then a tap can clean the rest.

If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators
would be dead. -- Johnny Carson
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Archimedes' Lever" "Phil Allison"

** A brass wood screw does not have a very fine thread.

Sheesh, dude. Think about the application!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You have a lot of interesting answers! I run into this thing with RC airplanes. Usually mine involves T-Nuts instead of inserts. To keep the goo off of the threads I tape the ends closed.

HOWEVER, if you are dealing with a blind hole the hydraulic forces will overpower any seal you might try. You could cut some relief slots in the side walls to relieve the hydraulic pressure but it would be iffy. Glueing a wood plug (better than a dowel!) in the hole which has been cleaned up to provide a snug fit and redrilling is probably a better solution. If you have access to a metal lathe you could also make an oversize insert like the commercial one. This is the route I would prefer on a gun stock.

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

OK. Drill out. back fill with epoxy, placing plug just undersize from threaded insert normally used into epoxy for later removal. Epoxy dries. Plug is removed. Before epoxy hard cures, insert the insert. maybe with a little fresh epoxy as a 'wetting agent'. allow cure.

V I O L A. Dat's about as good as it gets. The deeper you drill it out and make the epoxy backfill, the stronger it will be due to integrating with more of the dowel's length. Add fiberglass fibers to make the epoxy matrix stronger still (usually).

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The most professional-looking repair would be to backfill the hole with something like "plastic wood", and re-drill/re-thread it. Or, you could tap the existing hole one size bigger and use a Helicoil.

Otherwise, I'd try Vaseline on the screw.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It finally clicked in, there was a discussion here recently about trying to use adhesives of any kind on polyethylene, and pretty much nothing worked. Will that do?

Reply to
JosephKK

As long as you don't leave a screw in the hole of the insert, it probably doesn't matter too much, you can very quickly clean out the thread with a tap, as the epoxy is softer than the brass, especially if it is warm.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

--
Good trick... they\'re _internal_ threads.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the -machine screw- he plans to thread into his brass insert does not have internal threads,the insert does.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Somebody will surely spend half a week trying to do it.

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

I have seen a tube of Teflon pipe dope that could be used to displace epoxy in an internal thread scenario.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

ed

ed

Not really, You use a long version of the machine screw you intend to use and wrap the tape on it. You then thread that into the insert. You then epoxy the combination into the wood. When the epoxy is hard, you thread the machine screw out and then pull the tape out. It is a trick that I have used.

Reply to
MooseFET

--
Yup, and I\'m pretty sure those were the insert machine screw threads he
was referring to.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

but NOT the threads he was planning on wrapping tape *around*.....Sheesh!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

--
Yup, looks like I misread it. :-(

JF
Reply to
John Fields

a machine screw with internal threads?

I meant wrap the screw and screw it into the insert before gluing the insert in,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

it seems like the wrong part.

you gan get wood screws with a machine thread at the head end. put a thread joiner on one of them, drill a recess (for the joiner) and pilot hole (for the screw) into the dowel and screw it in.

(use a lock nut - standard metalworking practice)

having the thread away from the end of the dowel will greatly increase the strength,

using varnish or polyurethane wood glue to lubricate the screw seems like a good idea too,

PS. it's not a pool cue is it?

Reply to
Jasen Betts