What's this newsgroup for?

In my opinion, it is a place for discussion between electronics designers. If you are a person trying to understand how the basic components work, you are not yet a designer and should be using the .basics group. But otherwise, any discussion about any aspect of electronics design seems appropriate to me.

Reply to
John Popelish

If they can get the A380 wiring confusion sorted out, that is.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

One of my clients is in L.A. so I fly between SMF and LAX. Usually Southwest Airlines flights 1739 and 2433. Ain't that bad with the winds, just a wee rocking of the cradle. Try the North Sea in October or so in an old Bell Sea-King helicopter ;-)

Before boarding the Bell we had to don survival suits. In case we auger in, they said. "Does it ever really happen?" ... "Oh, ask Joe over there. Hey, Bill, where was it that you guys turfed it?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Just 'several'?

Boeing's building Dozens of the new Dream liner. Just got a 5.7Billion deal today.

Martine Riddle

According

in

That's the one I remember seeing:

But, I'm not claiming a 747 has never done it - one of the 9/11 planes made it to about an 85 degree bank, but I think that was more of an emergency turn. =:-O

I saw a video of a B-52 trying to do aerobatics, and it went in. ... Found a clip:

Crash.mpg

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Tex" Johnson rolled a 707 during a scheduled fly-over of a watershow. There's a picture somewhere out the window where the engines look mighty unusual on the side of the wing away from the ground.

He also did it with a B-47 on it's handover flight to the USAF.

You can only do that if you're the chief test pilot and you know how to do it while maintaining 1G all the way around. Which is quite a trick if it's never been done before and there's no simulator.

I don't think it's been intentionally done with a 747. Test pilots have gotten a tad more reticent over the years. That and the thought of $150 mil being deducted from one's paycheck gives one pause.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

which word don't you understand?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Survival suit just makes it easier to find the bodies........

--
James T. White
Reply to

Of course, it may not be the words that he's puzzling over. He could be trying to reconcile the guide to the sci.electronics.* hierarchy with this actual newsgroup.

If you go by what's posted, it would be hard to figure out its purpose. If someone didn't know there was a hierarchy, they might think it's the only electronics related newsgroup, kind of like what we had in reality back in 1995 before Mark Zenier went through the effort to try to get things reorganized.

ANd of course, the fact that the purpose of the newsgroup is not clear from the postings means that people post away based on what they see, which just adds reinforcement to the muddled newsgroup.

People ask basic questions here, they ask consumer type questions here, they ask about components, they post about the weather, and on and on.

I recall one time someone admitted the post likely didn't belong here, but they thought they'd post anyway because it was a lot more active newsgroup than sci.electronics.basics The joke was that there'd not be the same level of traffic here if people actually posted where things belonged.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Well, I'm provolone and antipasto.

Parity on, dudes!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

opps, yes,

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I can say much, I hate politics and religion, but i do love food and drinking. I contribute f*ck all, but i like reading. I dont do electronics anymore, just software (sometimes embedded). Did i mention i like beer?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Why? What have they done for the rest of us but start a few pointless wars, which they don't seem capable of finishing.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment).
Reply to

Well, they did manage to win the Grenada war, didn't they?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Which was designed by a guy of slovenian origin

Joseph Sutter, the name comes from Suhadolc :)

SioL

Reply to
SioL

According

in

Last month, had to fly to Ontario Airport (yes it's in Southern California), and the plane was somewhere east of the San Gabriel mountains, about to make the turn west, when the "fun" began. Hoo boy. Never been on a bumpier flight in my life.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett
[snip]

That area is tame. Try flying out of Colorado Springs in August during a severe thunderstorm, in the Rockies, with half-dollar-sized hail :-(

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the warning!

Is Denver Airport a wild ride during the winter months? Was thinking of visiting Denver for the ski season...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

And I don't like Asti Spumanti :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I've not had issues at Denver, but that flight out of COS (*) is the only flight I've been on where I feared I was going to die :-(

And I've been flying for 49 years.

(*) Only a problem in summer thunderstorm season. Winter has been fine, except we had to turn back to Phoenix once due to excessive ice on the runway ;-)

...Jim Thompson