What's the term for this?

Sounds ?dumbed-down?... In any case, George, whatever tool you use, find the feature that lets you group a thread so you can read it in some order, ANY order, and cull some idea of history of the discussion.

Reply to
DaveC

rce on the atoms.

due to the highish NA at the surface). Maxwell's equations lead to continu ity of tangential E and perpendicular D, as you know, so there's a giant di scontinuity in the perpendicular E field at the facet. (D = epsilon E, an d epsilon goes from like 11 down to 1.0 at the surface.)

very sad looking beam with a lot of fringes and not a lot of output power.

Thanks Phil, After limited web reading this is as good as any I found,

I was going to say AR coating and external mirror, but I'm late as usual. :^)

Re: E and D fields, I must admit I always found D fields a bit confusing. I then found Feynman and think in E and P. So yeah, there's this big polarization at the surface.. still the breakdown is going to happen at the defects, or edges, or .. "all together now".. :^)

To the OP: My diode laser specs the current at rated power as 100 mA typ, 140 mA max. You control diode lasers with current, if you want to know how close to the power edge you are you'll have to measure the power...

Good news (as Win said above) many diode lasers come with a built in photodiode monitor for just such a purpose.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold