What's the hi-side current sense chip du jour?

Usually I do it that way, opamp running off the input so it doesn't need to be RR and so on, but nowadays clients want to have everything super-small. The good stuff doesn't come in SC75 (yet).

Of course this does not relieve me from having to dump heat from all the D2PAKs into the PCB and from there into a frame. Somehow nickel-plating seems frowned upon these days, maybe some EPA rule.

That's one method but in this case not precise enough. I need to cut off within +/-10% and zero calibration efforts at the end of production. No potmeters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, ok, I have done that on fully patient-isolated med devices but it's hard to do when you only have the real estate of a penny available.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I could, but this time there just ain't no space for all the resistors that go with that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Then there's "Fudge's Factor"; the right answer divided by your answer.

Reply to
krw

Harborfreight contactless thermometer hacked and read out into a uC, which then thinks about the situation, shuts down the box, activates the sprinkler system and sends a text message to the fire department if further rising readings indicate an exothermal behavior :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Phil, you just described the California state budget system :-))

That actually works but requires analog glue. In this case I can't hog parts of the uC for stuff like this plus it's too slow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, I'll have to check. I only know some that watch the FET current but even then there is way too much tolerance on the threshold.

That would be a problem in this case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Newark stocks the LT6106CS5.ABS Max 44VDC

Its a little pricey like most of LT's stuff but it has integrated current liminting resistors and clamping diodes.

Reply to
Hammy

Their only other choice is to not live. Sad, isn't it?

Michael A. Terrell

I take it you have, as usual, no room and no budget ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush's failed policies.

And Cole's Law: thinly sliced cabbage. :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

No room for an SC70-6 and three resistors? You *are* pinched! Better get out your wallet.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Joerg seems to have budget this time--normally he'd do this with a hair-pin and some adhesive tape!

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Just use some #40 for a fuse ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

Thanks, it's actually not that expensive, around a Dollar in qties. A bit unorthodox though, hard to 2nd source. If anyone else is interested:

Might not work in my case though because it derives its VCC from the load rail and that could, in the case of a hard short, reside at a few hundred mV and still draw a ton of current.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Room no, budget yes. Within limits, as usual :-)

IOW I can't spend several Dollars per hi-side sense. $1 would be ok. What a relief, usually I'd have 5-10c here ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Especially since we are training a guide dog over the weekend and his name is McGyver (seriously).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I prefer Cuervo's law: A margarita heavy on the Jose Cuervo can fix just about anything.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I'll just find a SOT23-5 device in the Dollar-range with voltage output and then I am home. I just need to pick one that's popular so it won't go lalaland in a few years, hence my post :-)

It's strange that buck PWM chips typically don't offer this function. At least not new ones that can go up to a MHz.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We named The Brat's dog "Donner" because she'll eat anything.

John