faster ECL

We stock the MC10EP89, which is a great part, but it's kinda slow. I was thinking that adding a couple of diodes, and maybe inductors, could speed it up, given a single 3.3 volt supply. The next chip will be CML compatible and doesn't need much swing.

lunatic fringe electronics

Can U bootstrap its supply from the outputs?

Reply to
bitrex

How would that work?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Are the outputs open-emitter e.g.:

?
Reply to
bitrex

the idea is that the supply rails float up and down a bit so you get the available-drive-power advantages of operating from a "virtual" 5 v supply without actually making the output Q bases swing more than they would @ 3.3

Reply to
bitrex

Would bootstrapping for Q not un-bootstrap for not_Q? The EP89 already has double output voltage swing.

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

If the outputs are open-emitter as in the simplified ECL-buffer schematic (it's clearly a somewhat more complex IC from the datasheet, and they don't show you all the insides) then positive-going is an emitter-loaded transistor switch to the positive supply and negative-going is an external resistor pull-down to ground.

in that situation the only thing that's being boostrapped is the positive-going drive supply, and the diff pairs; their collectors are always operating somewhere in the linear region they don't "care" where the supplies are exactly

so at quiescent you could do 3.3 and 0, Q goes up, pulls positive supply up to 5 and also a bootstrap to make "ground" pull up to 1.7, you get 5V drive for Q, and looks to me like not-Q still pulls down to ground same as before

Reply to
bitrex

The double swing probably slows it down, especially on the negative swing with the passive pulldown. Vlow is only about 1.5 volts above ground, so the pulldown resistor current is low. The inductors might improve the pulldown edge by sustaining the current for a while.

I've tried Spicing this, but I didn't have a believable ECL model... just something I've hacked out of transistors.

Hints are that a resistor between the complementary ECL outputs is a better speedup than the diodes.

Time to Dremel, I guess.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Found this:

which includes the proper transistor models.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Have you looked at the NBSG16M? 10GHz CML:

"The NBSG16M is a differential current mode logic (CML) receiver/driver. The device is functionally equivalent to the EP16, LVEP16, or SG16 devices with CML output structure and lower EMI capabilities.

Inputs incorporate internal 50 Ohm termination resistors and accept NECL (Negative ECL), PECL (Positive ECL), LVTTL, LVCMOS, CML, or LVDS. The CML output structure contains internal 50 Ohm source termination resistor to VCC. The device generates 400 mV output amplitude with 50 Ohm receiver resistor to VCC."

Features: Maximum Input Clock Frequency > 10 GHz Typical

Maximum Input Data Rate > 10 Gb/s Typical

120 ps Typical Propagation Delay

35 ps Typical Rise and Fall Times

Positive CML Output with Operating Range: VCC = 2.375 V to 3.465 V with VEE = 0 V

Negative CML Output with RSNECL or NECL Inputs with Operating Range: VCC =

0 V with VEE = -2.375 V to -3.465 V

CML Output Level; 400 mV Peak-to-Peak Output with 50 _ Receiver Resistor to VCC

50 Ohm Internal Input and Output Termination Resistors

Compatible with Existing 2.5 V/3.3 V LVEP, EP, LVEL and SG Devices

VBB Reference Voltage Output

Steve Wilson

The key is that current into the collectors is steered, so the common path inductance doesn't matter, and the separate collector inductances are really tiny because they're adjacent on-chip. So when one transistor turns on, it doesn't have to wait long for current to start flowing into its collector.

especially on the negative

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I've heard (but never tried) that a lower power supply voltage speeds ECL up (at some cost in logic margin, of course). That should be easy to test, or simulate.

Reply to
whit3rd

It makes sense that reducing the collector diode depletion layer would do that.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The output transistor collector goes to Vcc, and the base pulls up to same, and the output is an emitter follower. The transistor hardly knows how far away Vee is.

The external pulldown resistor current does change, depending on Vcc-Vee. The change in pulldown current is worse for the big-swing EP89 than it is for regular-swing parts.

I figure that the EP89 will get faster if I force the voltage swing down.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

if it's used as a line-driver surely charging and discharging the single-ended component of the line capacitance is the dominating factor?

Reply to
bitrex

Have you looked at the MC100EP16? 4 GHz

$8.42 Mouser

Steve Wilson

I once fell on the nose with a 2.5/3.3 (maybe 3.3/5V) ECL chip. The idea was to level shift a signal in a cheap way by abusing the common mode range on the input/output side and shifting the supply voltage by a diode drop or two.

That did not work. Re-checking the data sheet, there was 2v5 _OR_ 3V3. They must have had a bandgap or whatever and switched operating points. It did not work at all in between. IIRC the chip was from Synergy.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann